Free GPS tracking software

Kiblams
Kiblams Posts: 2,423
edited October 2009 in MTB general
I have recently started using an app on my windows mobile called 'Sportypal' (naff name I know) to monitor my commute to work. It displays simple things such as my speed, average speed, distance and time taken. I mainly use it for my average speed to see if I am getting faster.

However this morning I noticed an option to register my profile online and upload the 'workout' details, was not expecting much as it is a completly free app and service. So I went ahead and registered and uploaded my ride to work this morning, I am realy suprised by the website (in a good way).

It uses the data uploaded from my phone to display my route on a map (google maps) which can also be exported as a GPX file, and I can display an overlay with graphs for velocity and altitude. These graphs will be very interesting for when I do my Offroad riding this weekend. :D

I would definatly recommend this software to anyone interested in tracking their rides, it even runs on iPhones, Windows Mobile, Android, Blackberry and java for the rest :)

It won't help stop you getting lost :wink: we have google maps for that, but I plan on using it to share routes and monitor how me and my OH are getting on. Can't believe that it's free :D

Just thought I would share my excitement (Yes I am sad enough to get excited about this :lol: )

Comments

• Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    Nokia phones run Sportstracker, which sounds very similar & is also free.
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • I switched to HTC from nokia, and have been using sportypal for some time now.
    Works really great. There are many additional details, such as average speed and time differences between different sectors and so on.
    Before that i was using the sportstracker from nokia but couple of times i ran into some problems with uploading the GPX to their website, than I found some article about nokia thinking of closing down this application. So for now sportypal is great choice if you ask me.
  • Sloper
    Sloper Posts: 141
    Yep, Sportypal is surprisingly good when you consider it's completely free. I've been using it for a few months on my HTC Touch HD. It works well for the most part, although there seems to be a small bug - when viewing the route I've taken on Google maps, or the map in the actual program, sometimes it draws a straight line between my start-point and a point where I've stopped for a break and paused Sportypal. Other than that it's great :)
  • dav1
    dav1 Posts: 1,298
    I have used GPS cycle computer which does similar things. Nice light app.

What I am really waiting for is google maps mobile to support kml files properly though so I can load my map up onto the PDS and read it live with my position.
    Giant TCR advanced 2 (Summer/race)
    Merlin single malt fixie (Commuter/winter/training)
    Trek superfly 7 (Summer XC)
    Giant Yukon singlespeed conversion (winter MTB/Ice/snow)

Carrera virtuoso - RIP
  • +1 for sportypal,

its a great app!
  • Kiblams
    Kiblams Posts: 2,423
    Dav1 wrote:
    What I am really waiting for is google maps mobile to support kml files properly though so I can load my map up onto the PDS and read it live with my position.

Indeed, Having to have a connection to view google maps shouldn't be required, makes a quick check for where you are in a forest very difficult.
  • dav1
    dav1 Posts: 1,298
    Unfortunately given googles "everything in the cloud" vision that will never happen. What you can do is run it from the off and scroll around the route you are taking prior to leaving to get a fair bit in the cache.

What i was referring to is the "my maps" section of google maps to see your routes, or the routs available in the routes and riding section and even your own uploaded KML files from sportypal/GPS cycle computer
    Giant TCR advanced 2 (Summer/race)
    Merlin single malt fixie (Commuter/winter/training)
    Trek superfly 7 (Summer XC)
    Giant Yukon singlespeed conversion (winter MTB/Ice/snow)

Carrera virtuoso - RIP
  • I found some cool tools under friends in the home menu, where i can find everyone that has been riding near me, and even find people that were riding on the same track as me, so I can easily check how are my performances.
  • I've bee using an app from Sanoodi.com on my Blackberry (supplied by work...)

Great free app, press start, finish at the end, and it uploads to the web. You access the web page with your account details and can see your route. Its great for seeing where you've been, but things like max speed, and some of the exact route details are a bit sketchy. But for free it's ok.

I used it around Bourne Woods (local to me) was good to see where I had been in relation to the size of the woods, but as mentioned max speed was way off, also the distance was a mile short of what my cycle computer reported. I guess it depends on GPS signal, and how often the GPS reports in.

But for a rough idea...cant fault it :D
  • Tolk
    Tolk Posts: 775
    I've been running a program called marathon, does pretty much the same, and draws a little line map as you ride to show the route. Again it has a website where you can upload maps etc. Might give this one a try though as i like the idea of altitude being shown.
  • Its free and does live GPS tracking, you will need a java based mobile phone (all nokias etc)
    http://www.transportlines.com

PS: You can track multiple users under 1 account
  • Tolk wrote:
    I've been running a program called marathon, does pretty much the same, and draws a little line map as you ride to show the route. Again it has a website where you can upload maps etc. Might give this one a try though as i like the idea of altitude being shown.

Yes I've tried this one also, it has almost the same features like sportypal.