2 way radios to be phased out for ALL races!

Pokerface
Pokerface Posts: 7,960
edited September 2009 in Pro race
Interesting that the UCI is pressing ahead with plans to phase out 2-way radios in ALL races!

After the fuss it caused this year in the Tour, will be interesting to see how the teams/riders react to this.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/radio-r ... e-of-teams

Comments

• top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    edited September 2009
    I think the mistake they made was to start the non-use of it in the Tour. Teams had no practice in racing without the team radio being available and there was probably an element of fear and unknown from those opposed to its ban. Start of in the minor races without its use and phase it in to ban radio use from the start of season 2011.

If the opposition to the ban on race radio is from a safety viewpoint, permit race radio but only instructions from race organisers to be communicated to riders. Race organisers can communicate of any possible dangers coming up or accidents as they happen.
  • Note the use of "2 way"

So they'll still be able to instruct riders, just not ask them to comment on it.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • bipedal
    bipedal Posts: 466
    I can't quite remember but I'd bet that the ban in the Tour was driven by ASO and the UCI went along with it, rather than that being a thought through plan of how best to introduce the ban
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,481
    bipedal wrote:
    I can't quite remember but I'd bet that the ban in the Tour was driven by ASO and the UCI went along with it, rather than that being a thought through plan of how best to introduce the ban
    Sorry but you're wrong. The UCI have been consulting on the use of radios within the sport for the past two years. ASO knew this and proposed trialling two stages of the Tour without radios to the UCI.