Sidewall Damage - Rideable Yes or No?

Coach H
Coach H Posts: 1,092
edited September 2009 in Workshop
Noticed last night that I have taken a 3-4mm scallop out of the sidewall of a Michelin Krylion Carbon. The braiding is showing but it has not gone through. What do people think, is this OK to ride or not? It would be a shame to ditch it as I have only put about 600 miles into it. Opinions please would be great.
Coach H. (Dont ask me for training advice - 'It's not about the bike')

Comments

• Seems a waste if the hole isn't right through the casing but I doubt if anyone will tell you outright to keep using it.

I got a hole about 8mm accross in the side wall of a pro race 2 after less than 200 miles. I stuck a large pucture repair patch (the thicker type), on the inside to stop the tube bulging through and patched it outside with araldite. It's been OK for probably 1500mls+ of commuting and club runs but you've got to decide whether the extent of the damage is worth the risk of a blow out say on a fast descent or in a group on a busy road.
    O na bawn i fel LA
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    sounds like the kind of thing a tyre boot would be perfect for
  • tyre boot or duct tape on the inside, couple it with regular inspections to make sure it isn't getting any worse...
  • tyre boot or duct tape on the inside, couple it with regular inspections to make sure it isn't getting any worse...

Bottom line, IMHO, replace it.
  • rhyko7
    rhyko7 Posts: 781
    sew it back together

i use metal thread and it seemingly lasts forever and thats on the tread!
    Dont look at it-ride it! they are tools not f*cking ornaments

my riding:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/rhyspect

Some of my Rides Data/maps:
    http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/Users/527337
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Show us a pic
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    You're going down a hill at 40mph+ and you get a blowout....suddenly the cost of a new tyre doesn't seem that important anymore.
  • Coach H
    Coach H Posts: 1,092
    Well replaced the tyre last night and although the damage hadn't gone past the braiding you could see the spot on the inside of the tyre wall.

Just goes to show how a little damage affects tyres.

Oh well at leat I've got another spare tyre for the turbo :roll:
    Coach H. (Dont ask me for training advice - 'It's not about the bike')