Indicators

FeynmanC
FeynmanC Posts: 649
edited September 2009 in Commuting chat
Anyone got any experience with this kind of thing?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Bicyg ... 0646/#more

bicygnals-indicator-zoom.jpg

Is it worth it or are reflective wristbands a better bet?
us0.png

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,708
    I wouldn't. If you're in secondary, then your right turn signal is going to look like a left turn signal.
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    I remember atleast one account of them being heavy and another of them not being secure on really bad road surfaces.

People have used wired versions before with indicators on the forks and rear stays.
  • Flasheart
    Flasheart Posts: 1,278
    OMG. You really considered attaching that monstrosity to your beloved steed?
    Burn the heretic!! :twisted:
    The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle. ...Stapp’s Ironical Paradox Law
    FCN3
    http://img87.yfrog.com/img87/336/mycubeb.jpg
    http://lonelymiddlesomethingguy.blogspot.com/
  • d21dga
    d21dga Posts: 113
    From more than 10m away I don't think it would be immediately obvious which direction you were indicating seeing as the left and right signals are so close together. On cars they are a couple of metres apart.
  • kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098
    They're only worth the bother if they have a hazzard warning setting.

That way you can let all the other road users know that you're going to stop suddenly/ change lanes abrubtly/ cut across two lanes of traffic to do a u-turn
  • Dudu
    Dudu Posts: 4,637
    Been invented before.

Been ignored before.

Bikes are too narrow for flashing indicators to be of any use.
    You can't beat a hand signal really, as not only is it obvious, but it also doubles your width outstretched, thus making it harder for some idiot on a bike or car to try and nail it past you.
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    Dudu wrote:
    Bikes are too narrow for flashing indicators to be of any use.

Never seen a bottom of the range scooter then? :?
  • snooks
    snooks Posts: 1,521
    A bright jacket and a bold arm (not hand) signal

Cheaper and easy to use ;)
    FCN:5, 8 & 9
    If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • +1 for the above. A hand/arm signal every time. It's what drivers are looking for and expect to see. Any rider that is not confident giving a hand signal shouldn't be riding in traffic.
  • Yup, a good positive signal with the arm and eye contact if necessary.
  • FeynmanC, Behave yourself... :shock:

:D
    Why are you laughing..? I'm not laughing...

14 year old Rocky Mountain Hammer S, still going strong, now on slicks...
  • Saw them while I was having a mooch round Halfords, Man theyre big.

Some bikes may have a problem getting them to fit, as they'll get in the way of gear shifter mechs etc, theyre that wide.
    New round here so excuse me if i ask dumb questions...
  • nielsamd
    nielsamd Posts: 174
    edited September 2009
    I started using High-Viz gloves (with no vest to overdose on the effect) this year and have noticed a definite effect... seem to have fewer SMIDSY events ..just get a feeling of getting a fraction more respect/courtesy on the road. i.e. its as if, when I indicate, they are taking me a tad more seriously/personally as to my intent rather than me, with dull colour gloves, perhaps seeming to be more vaguely `asking permission' from the `road tax payer'.. FWIW.
  • :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
    What a ridiculous piece of kit!
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Flasheart wrote:

It's alright, they own a hybrid.
  • Wrong, so very wrong.
    FCN 8

2009 Boardman Hybrid Pro
  • biondino wrote:
    Flasheart wrote:

It's alright, they own a hybrid.

Lol - i was asking more on behalf The Lady, rather than sticking them to the Defy (hybrid, indeed!).

I'm gathering from the assorted comments and gaffaws that the concensus is that they are a little bit rubbish :lol:
    us0.png
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Years back I did see a STOP light that had been invented. It relied upon the momentum of the bike - so as you were going - a white flap showed at the back. As you slowed, a weighted red flap would swing open. Ingenious but so not needed.