full sus to hardtail

timberjack
timberjack Posts: 279
edited September 2009 in MTB general
I currently have an 07 stumpjumper and i am sick of changing pivot bearings , and the assosciated creaks and servicing costs of the rear shock, so in my wisdom i am thinking about going back to a hardtail, but i fancy steel this time and a p7 is what i'm thinking about,have any of you made this move and if so is it a good move, i ride everything from country lanes with the wife (yawn), trail centres red and black,night riding on the moors, and all day rides in places like the peaks and the lakes. cheere in advance for your opinions
Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Alu/Carbon, 2011
Specialized Stumpjumper, 07
Genisis Altitude 30, 09
Giant XTC4, 04

Comments

• RealMan
    RealMan Posts: 2,166
    Well as everyone knows, hardtails are better.. :D

And as for what bike, do you want a complete thing? Or do you want to build it up? What sort of fork travel you want?
  • I have a Stumpy FSR 07...while I haven't had the same issues as you (in fact first set of bushings being changed now) I went back to a hardtail earlier in the year (Whyte 905).

Ride it more than the Stumpy.....so yes going back is good. And it made me a better rider.
    Whyte 905 (2009)
    Trek 1.5 (2009)
    Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp (2007)
  • RichMTB
    RichMTB Posts: 599
    If got an 06 S-works FSR and I then bought a Pace RC305

I like the Pace its a beautiful bike and for mixed riding on my local trails (bit of road, bit of trail) its great but I still prefer my ful-sus for trail centre stuff
    Step in to my hut! - Stumpy Jumpy Pacey
  • I bought a Charge Duster in January after riding nothing but an 06 Stumpy FSR for the best part of 2 years.

They are both such different beasts and I enjoy riding them both, for short blasts and to hone my skills its the Duster for all day epics its the Stumpy. I say go for it and keep both bikes
    :D
    Current Rides -
    Charge Cooker, Ragley mmmBop, Haro Mary SS 29er
    Pics!
  • Just bought a P7, to complement my 575. Great bike and in some ways much more fun to ride than a susser. I've been hammering trail centres since I bought it and the lack of "squash" in the back end makes swoopy singletrack good to ride. Been to Llandegla, Gisburn, Penmachno and even round Rivington on it in the past few weeks. Not found any real drawbacks, although it is obviously a firmer ride. Won't give up the susser though. I've got a mega Lakes thingy planned for Saturday and there's no way I'd do that on a H/T.

As above ^^^^^ it should hone my skill levels, but the susser is still the all day bike.

You should get one in addition to your susser, you know it makes sense!
    Frank Yates
  • chrisga
    chrisga Posts: 587
    Woah there seem to be a few of us in the same boat recently. Ive had full sus for years but grew up on fully rigid steelys/ Hence this just arrived on my desk at work today:

3950523230_3c82b20861_b.jpg

Seems a bargain but i know others wont agree. I'll post some more pics when its built....
  • thanks for your answers chaps looks like you've tipped the balance for me, now all i need to do is decide before xmas what bike to buy, its between a p7, or a genisis altitude 30 at the moment, also like the look of the new orange R8 but maybe's a bit racy for me
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Alu/Carbon, 2011
    Specialized Stumpjumper, 07
    Genisis Altitude 30, 09
    Giant XTC4, 04