I heard a rumour...............

epo-aholic
epo-aholic Posts: 1,414
edited September 2009 in Pro race
...........Alberto Contador to join Quickstep in 2010.

FACT!

Comments

• deal
    deal Posts: 857
    shame you didnt read this instead - http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12651684 :wink:
  • epo-aholic
    deal wrote:
    shame you didnt read this instead - http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12651684 :wink:

i didn't see that but the contract has been signed.........

i'll get ma coat :roll: :oops: :(
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I'm really excited about this!

Dunno why!
  • deal
    deal Posts: 857
    I will be pleased if its true, it will hopefully put an end to the Contador to Garmin / Wiggins to Sky rumours
  • epo-aholic
    NapoleonD wrote:
    I'm really excited about this!

Dunno why!

the topic or Contador at quickstep???

I think QS will have to get busy with other signings if he's to defend his crown, cant see Boonen playing the domestique can you?
  • epo-aholic
    deal wrote:
    I will be pleased if its true, it will hopefully put an end to the Contador to Garmin / Wiggins to Sky rumours

Rest assured its done and dusted, cant see the Wiggins thing happening but stranger things have happened.........eg. Contador to QS, who'd have thought it - they aint even Spanish!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Heh heh, Contador at QS.

The reason being I think that the lack of domestiques will make his riding even more exciting.

I love his spontaneous Ricco/Pantani style attacking. (And no, I'm not being sarcastic/alluding to naughty practices, I just love watching him do it...)
  • epo-aholic
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Heh heh, Contador at QS.

The reason being I think that the lack of domestiques will make his riding even more exciting.

I love his spontaneous Ricco/Pantani style attacking. (And no, I'm not being sarcastic/alluding to naughty practices, I just love watching him do it...)

True, he did pretty much wrap up Le Tour by himself this year!
  • If true, there will be a lot of Tour hopefuls soon to be seen with big grins on their faces.
    Almost as bad for his prospects, as signing for Lotto, or the French.
    He would have to be really desperate, or else wants to party with Disco Tom and his social powder.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • ms_tree
    ms_tree Posts: 1,405
    Perhaps they'll expect him to ride the cobbled classics?????????????? Picture the scene........
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    QS might surprise us but they aren't TdF stuff are they? But if he can pull off a win good for him. Garmin would prob.have been better for him tho'
    M.Rushton
  • micron
    micron Posts: 1,843
    Or maybe this is the new era when a GT champ rides and wins the Classics too - imagine Contador going to the Ardennes with the team to win. Just because perceived wisdom post 99 says that you can't take a sprinter to the Tour and win the GC doesn't mean that Contador can't rewrite that - he's already said he'd like to add some Classics to his palmares.

Plus, with the TTT coming back to the Worlds in 2012 (ridden in trade teams, no less) it's a discpline that aint going away so QS are going to have to work on it. And doesn't Contador get to bring 5 riders with him? As winner of all 3 GTs with a variety of preparation/team support he knows he can win the GTs any way he has to or wants to.
  • I thought id read an article on cyclingnews were he said that it takes too much out of you being 100% for the Classics and the Tour? would be great to see him race some though in a team where he wasnt always protecting his leaders tag.
    Take care of the luxuries and the necessites will take care of themselves.
  • Sorry what's this about no domestiques? Have people forgot the statement from the QS boss about the fact he was leaving 5 other spots open for him to choose some riders to bring. Considering Popo etc seemed to be looking after armstrong most of the time this year he was left with about 2 so I wouldn't see why he would be any worse of at all.
  • Any indications on his five domestiques are likely to be?

I'm guessing Hernandez, Navarro and Noval from Astana, although not sure if any of them are out of contract or would have to be bought out by QS.

Also if QS are signing Bertie + 5, then some of their existing riders are going to have to be shipped out, as at the moment most sites only seem to be suggesting De Jongh, Roessler, Schwab and possibly Cornu leaving, which would still leave them around the 25 rider mark before Bertie's contingent arrive, and not including any other signings.