Triple to compact

Clockworkali
Clockworkali Posts: 113
edited September 2009 in Workshop
Hi

I currently have a 105 triple groupset and want to change it to a compact as cost effectively as possible. The reason for this is i never use smallest ring and i am swapping the frame soon, so want the new bike to be compact. If i change the front mech and get a different bottom bracket can i use the same chainset and just remove the smallest ring. The other option would be to get a new chainset. Also will the triple shifter work ok. Any advice would be very helpful.

Comments

• John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    Compact chainsets have a bolt circle diameter (BCD) of 110mm and will take rings down to 33 teeth. Your 105 has a BCD of 130mm and will only go down to 38 teeth. You could fit a compact chainset. If you get a HT2 one then it will fit your 105 BB. Any current Shimano compact will fit as will any number of HT2 compatible ones. You would get away with using the triple front changer but it will not be as good as a double one.
  • Thanks for the advice John, i think i will get a new chain set and bb or sell the bike and get a planet x ultegra build.