130 mile round trip for 6 wk service, worth it or not ?

rockhopper353
rockhopper353 Posts: 64
edited September 2009 in MTB general
The time has nearly arrived for the opportunity to take my trek fuel ex 8 back to pedalon for the free 6 week service but its a long way to go and im not sure if it would be virtually as cheap to go to my LBS.

In general the bike appears fine apart from an annoying creak/groaning noise that has developed around the rear pivot area, is this alone worth me taking it back to see if they can get rid of this.

Would they do anything different to any other basic service at the LBS. I presume it would just be adjustments ?

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    A check over and adjustments.

It can be useful as bikes do bed in - but basic adjustments should be learnt anyway as you will need to do it again at some point.
  • how much would it cost you in fuel?

simple choice, i'd phone and let them know, as you might have warranty issues with it.
  • ads4
    ads4 Posts: 698
    No.

Bought mine from Pedalon and it was jumping gears on the cassette. Took it back for its 6 week service after 4 weeks and picked it up at the end of the day, all sorted. Next ride, the same problem. Took it back and they looked at it again, fixed it and it did it nest ride too. Always under load, as if it was an old chain on a new cassette, though it wasn't. Took it back again and they said they couldn't find the problem though it did it yet again on my next ride, always under load when standing up on a steep climb, not what you need :evil:

Took it to my LBS and they sorted it first time 8)
    Adam.

Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

Current ride - Yeti ASR 5a X0