a recording off sky box to a dvd

bobpzero
bobpzero Posts: 1,431
edited October 2009 in The bottom bracket
sorry this has probably been asked loads of times before. Checked the sky site - seems to be only in discussion nothing else. as theres a usb port on the sky box, was hoping there was a way of transferring a recording from the sky box to maybe the computer? probably may need a dvd recording device but im just guessing.

Comments

• You can record it onto a DVD while you play it, if you have a DVD recorder obviously. Bit longer than just dumping it as a file I know but it will work.
  • Try using one of these babies: http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/decklink/

Not yet one i tmyself but I believe it'll do the job. You gotta do it in real time, I don't think it's possible to get an AVI or whatever from the Sky box's drive.
  • Pinnacle do loads of stuff, I have just finished transfering my 8mm collection to my PC then to DVD via a video lead and an audio lead ( Yellow Red and White)

Click Me

. :D
  • i'm pretty sure sky put DRM onto anything recorded onto the hard drive on the box specifically to stop you doing this. I know virgin do and it would make sense for sky too as well. That means all you can do is use a DVD recorder.
    FCN: 8

"This is what hydrogen does given space and 13 billion years"
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Sky encryption is known to be unbreakable for their PPV tranmissions and there is a huge black market reward up for grabs for the first person to crack it but they change it every time allegedly.
    Virgin V+ boxes allow you to set the destination for the recording wether it is the internal HDD or an external source such as DVD recorder or PC.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    You can record it onto a DVD while you play it, if you have a DVD recorder obviously. Bit longer than just dumping it as a file I know but it will work.

This ^, and I've done it plenty of times.