Forum home Commuter cycling forum Commuting chat

Hi, I am a spendthrift and I need help

navtnavt Posts: 374
edited September 2009 in Commuting chat
There you go. There is always something I will need, be it clothing, lights, cables, etc. Oh, how I wish I could simply go a month without actually spending any money on my bike. Damn you Wiggle, damn you Cycle Reaction, damn you internet and door-to-door delivery.

Posts

  • R_T_AR_T_A Posts: 488
    Accept it's going to happen, and sell a kidney/lung to maintain cashflow.

    And have an understanding partner. Or sell them.

    :wink:
    Giant Escape R1
    FCN 8
    "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
    - Terry Pratchett.
  • downfaderdownfader Posts: 3,686
    R_T_A wrote:
    Accept it's going to happen, and sell a kidney/lung to maintain cashflow.

    And have an understanding partner. Or sell them.

    :wink:

    Sell your partner.. I think theres laws against that. :lol:

    I say, learn to buy on the cheap, visit poundshops, solder better LEDs into 99p lights etc.
  • _Brun__Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    You're missing the point of this forum. It's not really about cycling, but more to do with spending money on stuff and telling people about it.

    P.S. I've just ordered some hi-vis stickers from Wiggle.
  • kurakokurako Posts: 1,098
    If you're using your bike for commuting it depends on your motivations.

    If you cycle because A) you like it and B) the alternatives are all sh*t. Then it's easy to rationalise spending money. i.e. 100 quid per month not spent on rail fares is 100 quid per month for new toys.

    If you're cycling to save money then you're screwed :P
  • RoastieRoastie Posts: 1,968
    Since I embarked on my hack bike project to commute on to save my cross racer the hardships of commuting, my expenditure on bike bits has gone through the roof! :o
  • downfaderdownfader Posts: 3,686
    Kurako wrote:
    If you're using your bike for commuting it depends on your motivations.

    If you cycle because A) you like it and B) the alternatives are all sh*t. Then it's easy to rationalise spending money. i.e. 100 quid per month not spent on rail fares is 100 quid per month for new toys.

    If you're cycling to save money then you're screwed :P

    Once I got my bike sorted, the lights etc I was fine. I've saved around £300 a year by not taking the bus
  • navtnavt Posts: 374
    downfader wrote:
    Once I got my bike sorted, the lights etc I was fine. I've saved around £300 a year by not taking the bus

    But are you ever truly sorted?
  • You'll soon find that one bike is not enough and to sate your desire to spend money and you'll need more and more bikes to lavish your money on.

    I'm currently attempting to justify (to both myself and the good lady) that replacing the brake calipers on the steely (from Modolo Speedy to Campag Chorus) is much easier than sourcing new and effective pads.
    FCN: 5
  • downfaderdownfader Posts: 3,686
    navt wrote:
    downfader wrote:
    Once I got my bike sorted, the lights etc I was fine. I've saved around £300 a year by not taking the bus

    But are you ever truly sorted?

    Well I do need mudguards :lol:
Sign In or Register to comment.