Something shiny arrived today...

The Big Cheese
The Big Cheese Posts: 8,651
edited September 2009 in MTB general
my new SIDs, very happy with them, light as fook, great to look at (and match my frame exactly) however, I now know how Merlin sell them for £270, they have been taken off a new bike, and as such have a star nut fitted, are cut to a certain length, this however was not explained on the site, I nearly fainted when I saw it, ran down and offered them up and thank fook they are just 5mm longer thanm what I need, LBS will obviously need to remove the star nut and take 5mm off, just warning people before you buy!!!!

Anyway, that said, here they are- GORGEOUS!!!

s1050648.jpg

s1050649.jpg

Comments

• cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    nice knives....:D

why remove the star nut?? just bang it down to the desired level and cut off the excess steerer?
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • adb1006
    adb1006 Posts: 938
    Very nice! 8)

Could always stick an extra 5mm (carbon) spacer on the steerer to save cutting them?
  • cee wrote:

why remove the star nut?? just bang it down to the desired level and cut off the excess steerer?

I know, I was being stupid, that's what he will do I guess, I'm letting the LBS do these, as I want him to fit a new headset whilst he's at it...

I 'could' raise the front end by 5mm, not sure at the moment, I mean, it won't throw my ride out that much, an even easier solution....

;)
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    A long piece of 22mm copper pipe and a mallet will get the star nut out.
    A pipe cutter (applied slowly and gently) will get the 5mm off.
    I recently used the head of a pick axe as a crown race installation tool as it was perfect for applying even pressure for the install.

What do you need the LBS for ;)
  • I'd jimmy that star nut out and put a head doctor in but that's just me

bloody lovely fork mate, I got one for my SS a month or so back, paid a wack more than that though! you won't regret it
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • I have just ordered a matching 5mm USE SPACR, in case it's easier for him to just add, rather than cut off.... can't wait to get them on, am waiting for headset at the moment, the fooking postal people are striking/delays again so god knows when that will be...
  • adb1006
    Cheesey wrote:
    cee wrote:

I know, I was being stupid, that's what he will do I guess, I'm letting the LBS do these, as I want him to fit a new headset whilst he's at it...

I 'could' raise the front end by 5mm, not sure at the moment, I mean, it won't throw my ride out that much, an even easier solution....

;)

Don't necessarily have to rasie the front end - the spacer could be fitted above the stem - that's how i have mine - gives a bit of adjustment if you ever fancy raising it at a later date.
  • I know what you mean, it's just that I hate having spacers above stems, it's a room 101 for me, I think iot ruins the lines of the cockpit, but that's just moi :lol:

And this is my tart bike lol
  • I'd keep the adjustment, it's fun to alter your front end ans see how you like it, you might even find you want it lower than you have currently, and end up running xc style flat bars!
  • I'd keep the adjustment, it's fun to alter your front end ans see how you like it, you might even find you want it lower than you have currently, and end up running xc style flat bars!

I have got XC flat bars on it already, and the front end is running 40mm spacers at the moment, have had since I bought it pretty much, gives it a racier stance

Marin frames are weird, I could not get away with the next size up, as my saddle would be right on the top tube, however, the front end is still low, hence the 40mm..... or maybe I have freaky proportions :lol:

I have not fitted the fork with crown race fitted, as I don't have the headset yet, so can't guage exactly the measurements, if adding 5mm means no cutting/tapping down of starnuts, that's what I will go for. if the measurements are out of whack with spacers etc, Ill have it cust to exact size
  • adb1006
    They don't look too bad above the stem :wink:

14082009076.jpg
  • fcumok
    fcumok Posts: 283
    I also got mine today with a star nut pushed in. Hopefully will fit ok when I get home. Look very nice in black as well 8)
  • Lovely forks there. Gloss white alway looks superb.
    and IMO you can never have too many spacers ;) :

cockpit.jpg
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • fcumok
    Managed to get home and fit them to my bike before the wife got back. They're black like the ones that came off so she'll never notice. Quickest set of forks i've ever fit :oops:
  • fcumok
    Oh and my spacers are just like yours MacAndCheese. Even the same red hope ones :lol:
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    thats nothin. ive got a good inch and a bit of spaceers on top of my stem :lol:
  • fcumok, how was your steerer length, obviously you didn't need to cut any off! Result. :D

Well, mine are fitted to the frame, well, sort of.

They are on the bike but the new white headset hasnt turned up, so I got some corregated cardboard, cut a steerer-size hole in the middle to represent a crown race, and to protect the top of the crown.

The old headset which I am replacing (exactly the same but white) is on there still, so i tinkered with sitting on it blah blah and I am going to comfortably run 25mm of spacers, that means that the star nut will be cut off in the excess steerer (oh and the star nut was pi55ed lol from Merlin)

Next week, I shall take the bike to LBS, get him to fit headset, and trim steerer etc.. JOB done!

PS: The forks look AMAZING on the Marin! 8)
  • fcumok
    Still cut a couple of inches off my steerer as it's quite short on the merlin. I like to keep a bit on it for when the forks come off as they don't seem to fit on any other bike. The old star nut went with the bit that was cut off wasn't in straight as well :lol:

Buy the tools yourself and fit it. I got the park tools saw guide and you can cut millimeters off with it.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    If you just want to take a few mill off you could just have a go with a file. Take it easy and keep checking your going straight and it shouldnt take too long its only aluminium

Obviously clean up afterwards
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • It's a fair bit more than a couple of mill now, about 40mm to be precise, I had always wondered about havinf 40mm spacers (!!) on a stock bike, now obviously it's to choose what you want, in this case I am going down to 25mm as it gives a more racier/stance.

Anyway, here they are fitted(ish) but awaiting new headset/spacer/tools to do it next week.

Like my cardboard crown race lol...

took these last night!

s1050651.jpg

s1050650.jpg
  • gcwebbyuk
    gcwebbyuk Posts: 1,926
    They look great mate - I love the frame on that Marin too - cool bike 8)
  • Thanks bud, it's the only thing that's left of the original bike lol......

Love it, but am keeping my eye out for an 09 version to crop up, the ONLY thing I would consider changing this for, sod carbon..... :lol:
  • gcwebbyuk
    I think you must have the same disease as me - the only thing standard on my stumpy is the frame and headset...

....and am still considering changing them - carbon hardtail? full suss?

some may say: more money than sense - they could be right :shock:
  • adb1006
    Very nice 8)

What bars are they you're running? I'm considering going to flats but have heard that they don't give as much control as risers.
  • I love flat bars, can be skittish and do require more control at high speed over technical terrain, but on a racer I don't think anything else would do, they are USE Atom (British) and have matching stem and seatpost, and you don't see many of them about with the likes of Ritchey/FSA/Easton lurking about.......

CRC have them reduced I think now... light as fook! And a Luuurvvveeelly weave to them
  • adb1006
    Cheesey wrote:
    I love flat bars, can be skittish and do require more control at high speed over technical terrain, but on a racer I don't think anything else would do, they are USE Atom (British) and have matching stem and seatpost, and you don't see many of them about with the likes of Ritchey/FSA/Easton lurking about.......

CRC have them reduced I think now... light as fook! And a Luuurvvveeelly weave to them

Cheers for the info. I have some Race Face Deus XC risers at the mo which i'm gonna upgrade to carbon (as you do). Leading the way is the Truvativ Noir World Cup for me at the moment - but torn between flat or a slight rise :?

I may buy some mega cheapo flats to try out before splashing the carbon cash!

Any idea how much your USE weigh? They look really tarty :D They'd go nicely with the Thomson stem and 'post 8) Also, are they 25.4 or 31.8? Sorry for all the questions :oops:
  • The main issue with flats is that there aren't as many really wide ones. They're great for lowering the front end though, keeps the front wheel much more planted...
  • http://www.use1.com/products/handlebars ... /index.php

Oh and it's oversize 31.8mm

:D

I love their kit, don't see much of it around which I like
  • adb1006
    Cheesey wrote:
    http://www.use1.com/products/handlebars_mtb/atom_flattie/index.php

Oh and it's oversize 31.8mm

:D

I love their kit, don't see much of it around which I like

Excellent, thanks - although you've just added to my dilema!
  • gcwebbyuk
    I notcied a little Petworth west sussex - I go through there quite a bit when visiting mates in Farnham. It has encouraged me to think about buying some of their kit.

I did have a USE seatpost on my old saracen, and always thought of them as a yanky company!