steel, carbon and titanium bike..anyone got all 3?

Mothyman
Mothyman Posts: 655
edited September 2009 in The bottom bracket
Does anyone out there own all 3 builds of road bike?
which ones and how do they compare?

Comments

• mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    They are all different in their own ways but it also depends on how they have been put together. Each material can be made to provide different characteristics. As a rule of thumb, steel is comfortable, particularly over long distances and married to a carbon fork. Ti is similar to steel but more absorbent of vibration and carbon is stiff but can feel 'dead' compared to the other two. My carbon Trek was a superb bike but is beaten hands down by my carbon Serotta (as it should be, since the Serotta is more expensive). I had a Ti Colnago (CT1) which was lovely (carbon forks and rear triangle) but the ride was bettered by a leMond Victoire I had that used a carbon/Ti mix and had a delightful spring to it. My partner had a steel Serotta that she was v.comfortable on but the original owner wanted it back and did a deal with us for his Ti/Carbon Serotta. She has a Ti Sunday that she is v.comfortable on. A recent 100 miles on the roads of Islay put it to the test. For longevity, go for steel or Ti. I'm fortunate to own a variety of bikes (I have a couple of steel ones) and I like them all (altho' the Pompino may get replaced by a better quality steel fixie)
    M.Rushton
  • Reynolds 531c frame and fork (Ribble and Raleigh Triathlon) - Very comfortable over distances, although a little weighty compared to Alu and carbon. Part of the comfort on mine though may be from the relaxed geometry that allows full guards to be fitted. Both a what used to be classed as a "club bike".
    Titanium (Enigma Etape) - Again comfortable, glides over lumps even better than steel. Not as heavy as the 531's but I carry a couple of stome too much on my body so 300grams on the frame isn't an issue. Also full guards fitted, so again more relaxed.
    Carbon (Kuota Kharma) - Stiffer than the others, and it is faster (although not vastly so in my opinion). Poor road surfaces are felt more and although it's comfotable enough for all day rides, it is a bumpier ride.

If I had to make a choice and only have one bike, it would probably be the Enigma, as it does offer greater comfort over country lanes (where I do most of my riding), and the practicality of full mudguards. It all depends what you want the bike for though.
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • Good reviews guys thanks :D
  • yes..thanks mrrushton and slowdowncp - I have carbon Roubaix Comp but might save for the Ti experience
    cheers
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I have all three, well two carbons, two steel, one titanium and one carbon/titanium.
    The best ride is the ti/carbon Colnago - the handling is incredibly stable and smooth - it has got me out of trouble that many other bikes would have got me into difficulty - two-wheeled drifts on wet mountain roads next to Armco barriers that could be corrected. Not the lightest or the stiffest - but I can keep the power down for longer without it skipping all over the road like some carbon frames.
    The all-titanium in an Xacd custom titanium crosser - probably too soft to be ridden hard, but fantastically forgiving for off road - you can watch the frame and forks flex as you ride.
    I have two full carbon frames - a Kuota Kross cyclo cross and a Battaglin RS1 - currently run as a superlight fixed gear bike. Both are uncomprisingly stiff - great for getting the power down but a bit hard for long days in the saddle. Rode the Southdowns Way on the Kuota - my backside felt worse than after the Paris-Roubaix sportive.
    I have two steel - a classic 1984 Gios Aerodynamic and a Ritchey Breakaway. Both have great handling and feel and feel 'lighter' - happily ride both for day after day in any conditions.
    If it came down to a choice of one, it would probably be high-end titanium in classic Italian geometry - DeRosa, Passoni, Bertoletti or similar.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • good stuff MontyDog....what a collection !
    when you win the lottery let us know what you acquire..

I've not seen any Bertoletti or Passoni...but a De Rosa cruised past me the other day.....classy bike, couldnt tell what it was made of...went too quick