Dura Ace BB

Beardy10
Beardy10 Posts: 115
edited September 2009 in Workshop
I've done about 1500 miles on my bike and have had occasional noises coming from my BB. Put my bike in to Condor for a full service today (I bought the bike from them) and it needed a new BB!!!

They told me that sometimes they wear out quicker than that?

I'd have thought it should have lasted much longer than that ?

I do ride my bike in the rain but I never pressure wash it!

If it was less than a year old would Shimano have replaced it ?

Comments

• I assume it's a Holloetech 2 outboard bearing. I managed to get 750 miles out of mine before it started clicking. Replaced it with a Hope BB & had exactly the same problem. Someone suggested it wasn't the BB but the integral axle moving very slightly at the junction with the crank. For some reason I only got the noise with Shimano compact chainsets, the original DA 53/39 was always quiet. I'm still trying to solve the noise problem.
    -- "I am but a spoke in the wheel of life" -- Ghandi
  • Had my frame faced but it made no difference
    -- "I am but a spoke in the wheel of life" -- Ghandi
  • It is the hollowtech and interestingly I also have the compact chainset, it's been replaced with the same so I will see how it goes this time.

They did say in Condor that they have known them to go quicker than mine did.

It's bloody poor given it's the top groupset. Actually it's bloody poor even if it was the entry level groupset.
  • How much preload are you putting on? you often see these things massively overloaded, generally you can get the right tension just sticking your finger in the hole and twisting.
  • andy_f
    andy_f Posts: 474
    Same thing here, 105 BB and Tiagra compact. Click, click ,click, click every revo-bloody-lution. I've set mine up to Parkers Big Blue and to Shimano recomendations and less than 10 mile into a ride it will start clicking. Tempted to go back to my 2001 105 chainset and BB.
    "Let your life rule your job, not your job rule your life"

Born to ride, forced to work.
  • You were lucky to get 1500 miles. I heard from friends they get less than half that. I got about 100 miles out of a set of FSA BB cups before I started grinding. I churned up and down some nasty hills in nevon and Somerset in those miles but Its ridiculous. I ran the BB longer but bought a Hope stainless one when it was on special. It required some liberal application of hammer to fit but spins much more freely mow after 2000 miles than the FSA item did new. Feels stiffer too. Something to do with the axle running on the inner races rather than a plastic sleeve/dust shield.

I would thoroughly recommend one. Especially if you can get it for 44 gbp :lol:
    God made the Earth. The Dutch made The Netherlands

FCN 11/12 - Ocasional beardy
  • How much preload are you putting on? you often see these things massively overloaded, generally you can get the right tension just sticking your finger in the hole and twisting.

Hmmm. Affraid I am not that technical! Condor fitted the replacement, I would hope they would know what they are doing. The bike is running beautifully....for the moment....