Cycling at night during the rush hour in central London...

2»

Comments

• gradiric wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    Remember, contrary to how it often feels, no one wants to hit you, and no one is trying to make contact*. Remember that. [/size]

Sadly that is not true as I found out yesterday. After over 10 years of daily London commuting someone (WVM) deliberately drove into me/my bicycle on my way into work. I know it was deliberate because he gave me the finger before he knocked me to the ground. Incredibly I had hardly any injury other than slight roadrash, saved by landing on my rucksack on my back and the fact that there was no traffic behind me as I lay in the middle of the road. Unfortunately I did not see his number plate or any other defining characteristic - hence the police where unable to take it any further. So, remember that - there are people who try to make contact - thankfully few and far between.

that's crap Greg. pleased you are basically ok. that's the most important thing. What make and colour of car so I can avoid all of that species?

I've also had someone deliberate clip me, fortunately only a glancing contact and I stayed up. I battered his car at the next lights and he refused to get out for some reason ...
  • gradiric wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    Remember, contrary to how it often feels, no one wants to hit you, and no one is trying to make contact*. Remember that. [/size]

Sadly that is not true as I found out yesterday. After over 10 years of daily London commuting someone (WVM) deliberately drove into me/my bicycle on my way into work. I know it was deliberate because he gave me the finger before he knocked me to the ground. Incredibly I had hardly any injury other than slight roadrash, saved by landing on my rucksack on my back and the fact that there was no traffic behind me as I lay in the middle of the road. Unfortunately I did not see his number plate or any other defining characteristic - hence the police where unable to take it any further. So, remember that - there are people who try to make contact - thankfully few and far between.

that's crap Greg. pleased you are basically ok. that's the most important thing. What make and colour of car so I can avoid all of that species?

I've also had someone deliberate clip me, fortunately only a glancing contact and I stayed up. I battered his car at the next lights and he refused to get out for some reason ...

WVM - sorry, not very discriminating - all I can tell you it was of the small white van type rather than the transit size white van...with no markings...and it was round the Aldwych at 6.15am
    Time VRS Pro-Team 08 – weekend steed
    Condor Moda - commute
    Scott something or other - manky old MTB
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    :shock: That was a lucky escape.

If it was Aldwych, are there not any traffic cameras? I'm pretty sure the Police can check this out on the cameras. Perhaps I'm being cynical, but it seems they just can't be @rsed.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • gradiric wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    Remember, contrary to how it often feels, no one wants to hit you, and no one is trying to make contact*. Remember that.

No, it isn't.

In close to 20 years of riding in traffic on a daily basis I've had one driver try to hit me and one actually hit me. So I'll stick with "no one", thanks very much.

If, on the other hand, you go out every morning convinced someone's out to get you, then I wouldn't be at all surprised if you manage to provoke someone into having a go. Claiming to have "battered his car" says a lot about your mentality towards cars and drivers, I'm afraid; as does your assumption that all drivers of a particular type of car are the same (in fact, the accident above was caused by a van - White Van Man is the giveaway).

gradiric - sorry to hear about your off. Hope you're ok.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A