A fat lad getting back into it! My new purchase!

Danr
Danr Posts: 196
edited October 2009 in Your mountain bikes
After 10 years and 18 stone I've decided I'm bored of the rugby union and have decided to get back into the MTB scene. When I was younger I did a lot of XC and a little dirt jumping/DH stuff. My cousin bought an Enduro recently and I realised how much I missed riding so initially went out and bought a Carrera Banshee X. Good bike but not for me so I sold it and went for this (sorry about pic quality - Taken on my Blackberry) -

IMG00203-20090922-1857.jpg
IMG00206-20090922-1859.jpg
IMG00211-20090922-1911.jpg

Pics were taken from my local route tonight and the eagle eyed among you may be able to spot the bright lights of Elland Road in preperation for the big match this evening!

Current spec -

Frame Triple butted & hydraformed alu
Horst Link 4-Bar linkage
137-158 mm travel Fox DHX-AIR 3.0
Fork Marzocchi 55 R 120-160mm travel
Headset FSA TH-857 alloy 1-1/8"
Cranks Chainguide FSA Alpha Drive triple 44/32/22T with ISIS spline
DMR White pedals
Chain KMC Z-9000 Freewheel SRAM PG-950,
9 speed 11-32 Front Changer Shimano Deore 31.8mm Rear Changer
SRAM X-5 9 speed long cage Shifters
SRAM X-5 trigger,
9 speed Bar Truvativ,
Front Brake Avid Juicy 3 hydraulic 7" rotors Rear Brake
Avid Juicy 3 hydraulic 7" rotors Brake Levers Avid Juicy 3 levers
Front Hub KT 20 mm sealed bearing front hub
Rear Hub Shimano M-475 135 x 10 mm rear hub , 6 bolt Rims WTB Speed Disc with eyelets Spokes DT Silver stainless
Tires Maxxix Ignitor 2.10 Saddle WTB SLT Rocket V Comp Seatpost Pro Max double bolt micro adjust seatpost
Thomson Elite X4 Stem
Specialized XC raze bar
Spank Lock on white grips
wireless trip computer
Funn skinny camo seat

I'm interested in upgrades at the moment so open to suggestions! All comments welcome but be gentle, remember 10 years out of the scene and just getting back into it :wink: :oops:

Comments

• jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    very nice bike. love the color.
    i would replace the mechs and the brakes but thats my personal opinion
  • Danr
    I put an XO derailer on my carrera before selling it but as it was given to me by my cousin I never realised the quality. I can't tell you how much i'm kicking myself now!!

I'm looking at X9 shifters? There seems to be a split between Sram and Shimano these days. Would like XO but price is an issue as Mrs is 6 1/2 months gone!

Whats a good average price shifter/mech combo these days?

Oh and i'd really like some Hopes but fear i will have to save up for them unless someone wants to do me a deal against my Juicy's? Pro's and cons of Juicy's vs Hope brakes?
  • lesz42
    lesz42 Posts: 690
    whats wrong with the mechs/shifters? and brakes? wheels and decent tires are more important, if less bling

having a spare wheelset is a good thing, i think, very nice you have there :)
    Giant Trance X0 (08) Reverb, Hope Hoops 5.1D, XT brakes, RQ BC, Works Components headset 1.5
  • 8) nice bike there bud.
    roberts dogs bolx
    cannondale hooligan 1
    cannondale badboy
  • Duffer
    Duffer Posts: 379
    Ride it until things break - then replace the broken parts with better quality ones. There's nothing wrong with the juicy threes at all - an excelent brake set.

I like the look of the Norco frames, but i don't think i've ever seen one out on the trail.
  • Looks bang on for the money,agree with duffer re upgrades,I'd ride it for a few months before I went mad with the upgrades,as you need to know what you want,not what the latest bling is.
    Enjoy,Ian
  • ramemtbers
    ramemtbers Posts: 1,562
    very nice :lol:
  • Hercule Q
    Hercule Q Posts: 2,781
    very nice i personally would change the forks but then again i'm not a marzocchi fan

pinkbike
    Blurring the line between bravery and stupidity since 1986!
  • Nice bike.

As mentioned above, wheels and tyres are always a good place to start. You can shave off lots of weight and improve the quality of the ride loads. But it depends how much you are looking to spend and what type of riding you're going to be doing.

Is that pic taken up near Farnley? Western Flats Park or Wood Lane type of area?

Got loads of Family round Morley, Drig, Gildersome, Birstall so know it quite well. The flats in the pic look like Cottingley Towers.
  • Rich9
    Rich9 Posts: 1,635
    I like that 8)

Whcih model is it? Fluid what? Cant quite see from the pic

cheers
    2014 Whyte T-129S
  • Danr
    Fluid LT 3 :)
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    Very nice! i think the stem is a tad long for that style of bike, a shorter stem would make it handle better and improve the feel of it, and be more suited to the type of riding that bike is designed for, other than that, not much to change, maybe fatter tyres, although the ignitor in its self is great, pos 2.35 would better suit the bike. and as already mentioned the mech could be better, but use it untill it breakes, ther is nowt wrong with x.5, or the juicy brakes for that matter, they are great brakes.
    I like bikes and stuff
  • mogi
    mogi Posts: 69
    leave the shifters where they are mate theres nowt wrong with em,i would put some meatier tyres on an all mountain rig like that(maxxis high rollers,kenda nevagals)a shorter stem as said before might sit you better on the bike.
    it looks good mate so i wouldnt change too much.ah elland road..........
  • prb007
    prb007 Posts: 703
    Avid codes - I find them a MUCH better brake than the J3's - thought they'd be OK on my Felt Compulsion (i''m 16&1/2 stone) , but they wimp out much earlier than the Code's do! Welcome back to MTB'ing btw! As the others said - change the rest as it wears out - nice looking rig, too!
    If Wales was flattened out, it'd be bigger than England!
    Planet X Ti Sportive for Sportives & tours
    Orange Alpine 160 for Afan,Alps & dodging trees
    Singlespeed Planet X Kaffenback for dodging potholes
    An On-One Inbred for hard-tail shenanigans...