Rides In Sheffield

nicduck1
nicduck1 Posts: 67
edited October 2009 in Routes
Just started at sheffield uni. Need a ride that is close to the uni or easy to get too as i know longer have a car so would have to bike there. Any ideas.

Comments

• Yep, Head up through Crosspool and up to Lodge Moor then there are some great singletrack rides around Wymingbrook reservoir.

Stanage Edge is just a bit further up the road as well.
    If i am going out on one i am happy, If i am out on one i am happy, If i have just been out on one i am happy, otherwise miserable!
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    Wharncliffe
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • Er Wharncliffe is hardly close to the Uni is it!!!
    If i am going out on one i am happy, If i am out on one i am happy, If i have just been out on one i am happy, otherwise miserable!
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    Depends where he's gonna be living.
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • How far do you want to ride? There are some fantastic routes around that way :)
  • Welcome to Sheffield! If you're based in S10 (with most of the Uni students) then a gentle route out to the Peaks is up the Porter valley (via Endcliffe/Bingham Park) and/or Mayfield valley. Or like big_tex_uk says, follow Redmires Road from Crosspool out to Lodge Moor, which will take half an hour or so.

I'm in Crosspool and my preferred route is from Redmires reservoir up to Stanage Pole and down through Stanage Edge, which is a bone-shaker with great views over the Hope valley. From there I like to follow New Rd to Ladybower dam and from there, well, the possibilities are endless.

There are some great tracks around the South and West of Win Hill and Hope Cross, which feature regularly in MTB magazines. Also, the tracks around Derwent reservoir and the surrounding hills are superb.

If you've got a whole day to fill then go a bit farther still and there are loads of options around Edale.

In short, you will not be bored. And will probably fail your degree as a result. ;-)
  • Yeh i am s10 at endcliffe. Thinking about something close to 10 miles just a small ride really.

Cheers for the rides. Ill do them when i finally get my bike down here.
  • If you are in Endcliffe go up through Endcliffe park and up Porter Clough. At the top you can either go left and across to Blacka Moor or right and head towards Wymingbrook and Stanage Edge.
  • Yeh i have been looking at that on a map i think. Going to give it a go and see what happens.
  • Just make sure you don't get lost and pick up a puncture eh Nic?
  • Yeh i only got slightly lost. Not having clue where i am does not count. I think i did well not too get a puncture until i was nearly back. Most annoyying thing is that my pump is not working so i cannot pump up my wheel.
  • Snelly
    Snelly Posts: 140
    nicduck1 wrote:
    Yeh i only got slightly lost. Not having clue where i am does not count. I think i did well not too get a puncture until i was nearly back. Most annoyying thing is that my pump is not working so i cannot pump up my wheel.

Hmm. You''ve got to Sheffield Uni and you can't capitalise I or spell annoying and you struggle when to use to or too.....

Did your A Levels come in a Christmas Cracker??! :lol:

Just my little joke. I am from Sheffield myself. Enjoy it.
    Fortes fortuna adiuvat.
  • I apolagise for my grammar. I do not reread what i write. The point generally is put across. Where do you ride?
  • Snelly
    Snelly Posts: 140
    nicduck1 wrote:
    I apolagise for my grammar. I do not reread what i write. The point generally is put across. Where do you ride?

The South Downs in Sussex.
    Fortes fortuna adiuvat.