10 year old Kona?

rowlers
rowlers Posts: 1,614
edited September 2009 in MTB general
I've have the chance of buying a 10 year old Kona Bike.

At the moment thats all I know about it other than its hardly been used, still has original tyres, shimano 21 speed and was £499 when bought new.

Do you think it could be worth a punt?

Anything I should look for?
Hopefully I'll know abit more tomorrow

Comments

• Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    With any 2nd hand bike, check everything works, & all the bearings are smooth, no dings in the frame, brake pads & chain aren't worn out etc

Do you know which model of Kona is it? fully rigid, or sus forks? some are more desirable than others
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Some retro bikes are actually becoming pretty collectable to the right people... But as a bike, chances are it's going to be fairly poor by modern standards, I'm the last person to get carried away with slagging old bikes but things have really moved on a hell of a lot, especially with suspension.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • TBH depends what you want it for, if you want a really cheap runaround or rigid trail bike for fun then sure.

If you want it as a serious second bike probably not.
  • rowlers
    rowlers Posts: 1,614
    TBH I just seen it advertised and though it might make an interesting project over the winter. Gives me something to do.

I know nothing more about it.

I doubt I'll even keep it! You never know it might be hidden treasure!!
  • Northwind wrote:
    Some retro bikes are actually becoming pretty collectable to the right people... But as a bike, chances are it's going to be fairly poor by modern standards, I'm the last person to get carried away with slagging old bikes but things have really moved on a hell of a lot, especially with suspension.

I agree. For the same money, the chances are that you could buy more for your money with a basic modern machine, as so much technology has improved in the last 10 years.

There again, you could manage to sell it on as a retro collectable Kona... there are a few people out there who actually 'collect' bikes!

KK.