MTB Guiding Qualifications????

rob39
rob39 Posts: 479
edited September 2009 in MTB general
hi all
What mtb qualifications do you need to guide over here and abroad???What do companies look for. otc, ctc trail leader, smbla etc ?????

Comments

• zero303
    zero303 Posts: 1,162
    I think SMBLA is supposed to be more recognised but I think it's geared more towards just guiding. I understand CTC to be better geared towards instruction.

I'm trying to figure all this out myself and it is tricky!
  • What do companies look for. otc, ctc trail leader, smbla etc ?????
    Select where you want to work eg France, Spain, Switzerland and then e-mail a few companies eg bikeverbier in Switzerland, sierracycling in Spain.

The french need some of their own qualis I do believe such as mountain craft inc walking.

Will or could take you best part of a year to get basic quali+1st aid.

SMBLA is generally recognised as best atm but CTC is gaining I think due to better organisation.

Poster called jedi on singletrackworld is going down a similar path as are a few others. Log on and use search to find threads.
  • France is complicated - you need a french qualification or get an IML, then MBL, then apply for equivalence. MBL is recognised pretty much everywhere else!

As the others say different companies have different preferences. We did SMBLA and I think it's worth doing even if you never intend to work as a guide - useful knowledge for riding with mates!
  • France is complicated - you need a french qualification or get an IML, then MBL, then apply for equivalence. MBL is recognised pretty much everywhere else!

As the others say different companies have different preferences. We did SMBLA and I think it's worth doing even if you never intend to work as a guide - useful knowledge for riding with mates!