Mountain biking in Nepal

gooiestan
gooiestan Posts: 12
edited September 2009 in MTB general
Ok, so I’m going to Nepal in April next year and I’m absolutely desperate to be mountain biking out there at some point during my stay.

The idea of trying some long distance routes/single-track (and the worlds 2nd longest downhill!?) has me captivated.

So who knows what its like out there!? Has anyone done it. Do you recommend a commercial provider or organising it myself with a group? (Im a penniless ex student btw) does anyone have any crafty ideas like getting in with a commentarial provider as some kind of assistant so therefore getting the experience without paying!!!!

Well, I’m excited, I’m just trying to work this one out
Any tips? Please post.
Thanks
Sam

Comments

• Mrs B and I rode a bit in Nepal during our honeymoon. It was 9 years ago so things are likely to have changed a bit but my recollection

There are well established guiding companies in Kathmandu. I dn't recall names and they probably wouldn't be helpful anyway as it was such a long time ago. The locals do the guiding for next to nothing in local wages (but you'll generally pay 100 USD per day for a fully supported trip, at least that was the price, could have gone up or down, what with the maoist rebellion putting the tourist trade on hold for a while) but don't expect to score a job. Plus they're all much fitter than you (nothing against you, I don't even know you, but they're much *much* fitter, hmkay?) go for your life though

Rides are aces, we did some stuff just outside Kathmandu on rental bikes, just in one of the forests North of the city, it was great and showed the potential of getting further out. Don't recall the bike rental price, but not expensive. Kathnadu to Lasha is the trip I've always wanted to do.

Have fun!
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day