Which recovery drinks/bars?

dav1
dav1 Posts: 1,298
I am really starting to see the benifit of these and have strated using recovery drinks from SIS after my weekend rides. Only problem is I tend to feel sick after drinking them.

Any suggestions for an easier to digest recovery product out there?
Giant TCR advanced 2 (Summer/race)
Merlin single malt fixie (Commuter/winter/training)
Trek superfly 7 (Summer XC)
Giant Yukon singlespeed conversion (winter MTB/Ice/snow)

Carrera virtuoso - RIP

Comments

• Dav1 wrote:
    I am really starting to see the benifit of these and have strated using recovery drinks from SIS after my weekend rides. Only problem is I tend to feel sick after drinking them.

Any suggestions for an easier to digest recovery product out there?

I don't know what specific products you are talking about so don't know what you're looking for in a recovery drink, but chocolate milk is becoming increasingly popular as a post-workout drink. Ideal ratio of sugar to protein, cheap, and very tasty. Obviously no good if you're lactose intolerant though.
  • rhyko7
    rhyko7 Posts: 781
    i quite rate the "goodness shakes", they contain the electrolytes and protein, so probably better than the energy drinks which have no protein.
    Dont look at it-ride it! they are tools not f*cking ornaments

my riding:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/rhyspect

Some of my Rides Data/maps:
    http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/Users/527337
  • The protein in these milk drinks is of pretty poor quality and not very well absorbed and used by the body. IMO they're simply expensive forms of a chocolate bar and about as much use as.

I would look more towards a Body Building biased recovery shake that have decent carb sources and whey protein.
    Chas Roberts - DOGSBOLX
  • BigJimmyB
    BigJimmyB Posts: 1,302
    Have a look at ZipVit products.

I use the bars, gels and the energy and recovery drinks.

I got the last batch on a 2 for 1 deal - which was nice.....
  • The protein in these milk drinks is of pretty poor quality and not very well absorbed and used by the body. IMO they're simply expensive forms of a chocolate bar and about as much use as.

I would look more towards a Body Building biased recovery shake that have decent carb sources and whey protein.

Sorry, but that's utter nonsense. Milk protein is of a very high quality, significantly higher than the whey protein in bodybuilding supplements. Not to mention that chocolate milk is already full of carbohydrates in the form of sugar.
  • Noel PT
    Noel PT Posts: 627
    You seem to be getting loads of conflicting information, so let me say this. You need more carbs after training than protein. So look at getting something like this
    http://www.torq.ltd.uk/acatalog/TORQ_recovery.html
    or
    http://www.highfive.co.uk/recovery_drin ... overy.html

Avoid body building supplements, if they were for cyclists or moutain bikers they would say so on the bottle - but they dont.

If you are interested in quality supplement advice please feel free to drop me an email.
  • asdfhjkl wrote:
    The protein in these milk drinks is of pretty poor quality and not very well absorbed and used by the body. IMO they're simply expensive forms of a chocolate bar and about as much use as.

Sorry, but that's utter nonsense. Milk protein is of a very high quality, significantly higher than the whey protein in bodybuilding supplements. Not to mention that chocolate milk is already full of carbohydrates in the form of sugar.

Hmmm, highly processed and no doubt denatured due to manufacturing processes that such drinks go through. Absorption rate is also too slow compared to whey.
    Chas Roberts - DOGSBOLX
  • Noel PT wrote:
    You seem to be getting loads of conflicting information, so let me say this. You need more carbs after training than protein. So look at getting something like this
    http://www.torq.ltd.uk/acatalog/TORQ_recovery.html
    or
    http://www.highfive.co.uk/recovery_drin ... overy.html

Avoid body building supplements, if they were for cyclists or moutain bikers they would say so on the bottle - but they dont.

If you are interested in quality supplement advice please feel free to drop me an email.

And the drinks you link to have pretty much identical macros to that of any body building recovery supplement and I bet they're over priced with it.

Protein is just as important as carb content for recovery as the muscle will be craving amino's to help repair and rebuild damaged fibres. Carbs are simply to help restore muscle glycogen levels and help to speed up the shuttling process of supplying nutrients to the muscles. Once liver glycogen is topped up anything more is simply wasted calories.
    Chas Roberts - DOGSBOLX
  • Noel PT
    Noel PT Posts: 627
    No mate, the macro nutrients are nothing alike. But you keep up the chocolate milk.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I always have a bloody good meal when I get in. Pasta and tuna, in a good tomato sauce with cheese on top.
  • Noel PT wrote:
    No mate, the macro nutrients are nothing alike. But you keep up the chocolate milk.

I meant your linked products vs BBing recovery formula's which containa little less sugar and a bit more protein which is a good thing, not chocolate milk. Just because it doesn't have a label on it specific to a particular sport doesn't mean there's no relevant application for it. Thats taking a pretty narrow perspective of supplementation.

And if you botherd to read the posts properly you'd realise I'm not the one into chocolate milk :)
    Chas Roberts - DOGSBOLX
  • supersonic wrote:
    I always have a bloody good meal when I get in. Pasta and tuna, in a good tomato sauce with cheese on top.

Nothing wrong with that at all as long as it's within an hour of finishing your ride.
    Chas Roberts - DOGSBOLX
  • rhyko7
    rhyko7 Posts: 781
    The protein in these milk drinks is of pretty poor quality and not very well absorbed and used by the body. IMO they're simply expensive forms of a chocolate bar and about as much use as.

im not saying you are wrong here, but where do you get your information from that these "milk shakes are poor quality"? do you mean just the BV value or that its just processes rubish?

i use whey protein after weights when i get home but its not practical straight after a ride, hence i normally grab a goodness shake on my way to ride from my local shop.

i think half of the revovery drinks are a rip off and are basically just full of sugar (carbs) which you can get from most junk food/drinks for half the price.

i think the perfect recovery drink /meal needs to have 15-25 grams of protein, 50-80 grams of carbo hydrates, then something with electrolytes, Bananas are pretty good, one of these must be fluid to help re-hydrate.these quantties depend upon how much you have depleted from body, which is related to the exercise and your muscle mass.

i usually have a fresh milk shake or goodness shake with a banana or some sort of bar, chocolate, oats or protein bar after a ride or any form of cv.
    after weights i have whey protein and again some sort of bar for carbohydrates.
    Dont look at it-ride it! they are tools not f*cking ornaments

my riding:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/rhyspect

Some of my Rides Data/maps:
    http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/Users/527337
  • rhyko7 wrote:
    im not saying you are wrong here, but where do you get your information from that these "milk shakes are poor quality"? do you mean just the BV value or that its just processes rubish?

Both are related in that an inferior process will denature a protein and reduce it's BV value. Heat is generally the biggest culprit. The protein is simply from skimmed milk which will have had to have been pasturised and will no doubt have damaged some of the protein's structual integrity and made it inferior and less bio-available.
    rhyko7 wrote:
    i use whey protein after weights when i get home but its not practical straight after a ride, hence i normally grab a goodness shake on my way to ride from my local shop.
    I can understand that. Some use protein bars but they suffer from a similar issue as the above with heat during manufaturing and/or inferiror ingredients.
    rhyko7 wrote:
    i think half of the revovery drinks are a rip off and are basically just full of sugar (carbs) which you can get from most junk food/drinks for half the price.
    Completely agree.
    rhyko7 wrote:
    i think the perfect recovery drink /meal needs to have 15-25 grams of protein, 50-80 grams of carbo hydrates, then something with electrolytes, Bananas are pretty good, one of these must be fluid to help re-hydrate.these quantties depend upon how much you have depleted from body, which is related to the exercise and your muscle mass.

Again agree although I tend to favour a little more protein andf less carbs but thats just personal and there's no direct right or wrong here.
    Chas Roberts - DOGSBOLX
  • Yes cooking food makes it less suitable.

Denaturing of a protein doesn't effect it's primary structure, only the higher order. It still fits in the enzyme fine. You'll need to come up with a better answer please!
  • Yes cooking food makes it less suitable.

Denaturing of a protein doesn't effect it's primary structure, only the higher order. It still fits in the enzyme fine. You'll need to come up with a better answer please!

Sorry, I'm referencing powders such as whey for denaturing where it makes a massive difference, not whole food protein sources.
    Chas Roberts - DOGSBOLX
  • milk takes to long to digest and all of it is'nt absorbed by your body..going by other websites goodness shakes are kack..crap sugars and low protein content.. they are well marketed and have nice packaging so are likely to sell well to the general public..i'd rather have a whey protein shake and a banana after a long bike ride with some solid food an hour later..i always take an energy/recovery bar or drink to have during my bike ride..last thing i want to use is muscle for energy..cant think of any benefits that the average high street chocolate bar could help with my performance and recovery...
  • BigJimmyB wrote:
    Have a look at ZipVit products.

I use the bars, gels and the energy and recovery drinks.

I got the last batch on a 2 for 1 deal - which was nice.....

I also use Zipvit, and really feel like they make a difference.

I use their muscle manager:
    http://tinyurl.com/zipvit
  • gav77
    gav77 Posts: 10
    I also use ZipVit products. Their energy/recovery bars taste quite good too. I find that products like SIS have me running to the toilet!!!!
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    supersonic wrote:

For the first 20 mins or so your body is at it's most receptive after a workout and will crave nutrients. After a long ride, say 2hrs+ I'll have a Rego recovery drink as soon as I'm finished to kick start the recovery process, then I'll have a proper meal of carbs/protien soon after.

Been a bodybuilder for years, then tennis and finally cycling, and have learned a few tricks along the way.
  • ashw9
    ashw9 Posts: 16
    Try a fig smoothie with added banana or make your own recovery drink, you know whats going into it then.