Italian steel frame issues

bice
bice Posts: 772
edited September 2009 in Workshop
I did up a 1980s Ciocc over the summer as a London commuter and I put on compact chainrings as I have a triple and a double and I wanted to try a compact. I thought the larger compact chainring would be fine for 99% commuting and the smaller one used when out of town.

The compact chainrings is a no-name set and I have fitted it to a Shimano 110mm BB.

The chain line on this is too extreme. I am using a Miche (cheaper Campag) 8spd cassette, although i can only use seven gears as I have seven speed indexed downtube Shimano gears.

On the larger chainring I can use the highest three gears, then the angle looks bad; with the smaller chainring it's better as I can use the lower five gears. The chain will shift to the gear extremes and even work, but I hate the look of the angle more than anything else. it just can't be doing any good.

For the past few days I have been commuting on my Lazzaretti steel frame with all Campag Record, Chorus and Centaur. It is so much smoother, and I far prefer a double.

I am now faced with a choice of trying a Shimano double on this BB; or replacing the BB with 107, although there is so little difference in anxle length here that I am not sure there is a huge point.

Or stick with what I know. Junk all the Shimano stuff and go for Campag 102mm Chorus BB and a Chorus/Record old chainring. At least I know these will fit deep into the frame and ensure the chain is straighter.