shed or garage alarm for 9.99 pounds

turbodog
turbodog Posts: 246
edited September 2009 in MTB general
This is a prefect alarm to protect your bikes from being nicked. The alarm is very easy to install with no wiring knowledge required. It has a loud siren which is enough scare of the bad people.

it is only 10 pounds at Aldi and I would recommend it for people who keeps their bikes in the shed.

Click here: http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/2827_11272.htm

Product Details

* 105dB extra-loud siren
* PIR movement sensor
* 2 radio controlled key fobs
* Detection range: up to 8m 110°
* Entry and exit delay
* 4 LR6 Duracell batteries included
* Wall mounted with adjustable bracket or portable
* No wiring required

Comments

• dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    I wonder how long the batteries last on these? Is the idea that you press the fob button before you enter the shed/garage to disarm it?
  • the battery wise - i had it for more than 7 months and it is still going :-)

yes, you need to use the keyfob to enable or disable the alarm...
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    Alarms are pretty much useless, I had a £2800 bike nicked from inside my house, which was alarmed & locked @ 2pm one afternoon last September, the alarm went off, the bike still went walkies. (BMX, hardtail & road bike were left, only the most expensive bike went AWOL)

I asked the neighbours if they were in their house that afternoon, they were, they did hear something but didn't do anything at all. The old dear's face dropped a mile when I explained that a £2800 bike was stolen.

I now have £100's worth of lock locking my bike up inside my frigging house, which to me is fecking wrong, I shouldn't have to lock stuff up inside my house FFS

So anyway, if you do get an alarm do not let it be your only security (besides door locks) lock your bikes up securely with ground anchors & big beefy locks as well, make it as hard as you can for anyone to take your bike(s), cos if they do want it they will have it even if an alarm is going off
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • Nik_B
    Nik_B Posts: 270
    Andy_B wrote:
    Alarms are pretty much useless, I had a £2800 bike nicked from inside my house, which was alarmed & locked @ 2pm one afternoon last September, the alarm went off, the bike still went walkies. (BMX, hardtail & road bike were left, only the most expensive bike went AWOL)

I asked the neighbours if they were in their house that afternoon, they were, they did hear something but didn't do anything at all. The old dear's face dropped a mile when I explained that a £2800 bike was stolen.

I now have £100's worth of lock locking my bike up inside my frigging house, which to me is fecking wrong, I shouldn't have to lock stuff up inside my house FFS

So anyway, if you do get an alarm do not let it be your only security (besides door locks) lock your bikes up securely with ground anchors & big beefy locks as well, make it as hard as you can for anyone to take your bike(s), cos if they do want it they will have it even if an alarm is going off

This is very true but there are different kinds of thief. Your's sounded like they knew you had that bike there so will more than likely reconed your house and possibly security as well. They knew what they we going for and had put some thought in to it. That must be the hardest thief to beat.

The other main kind will be chancers and if they get disturbed early on in the attempt they are more likely to give up to leave. deterents such as alarms and security lights work better on these ones as they are looking for the easy targets. To fight against these ones you want anything that slows them down while they are exposed in the open and then draws attention to them.
  • I always like to think of garage security in terms of non lethal weaponry. :)

Making the garage where you store your bikes an undesirable place to be is going to put off anyone spending time in there trying to steal from you.

I thought that for daylight hours garage protection, sound could be used as a weapon to drive burglars away. Not piddly alarm"whoo whoo" sound but full on train airhorn maximum decibellage hitting them in the face sound. If it is unexpected then a sound that loud is going to shake someone up. More so if they are out trying to be quiet whilst commiting crime. Also if the decibel level is high enough then they aren't going to want to remain in the area carrying out crime.

A bit like wanting to move away from pnuematic drills at street roadworks when you have no ear protection.

So to do this you'd need a compressor, a horn and a pressure storage tank and a way of switching it on when intruders intrude and off when you want to go in.

The second idea I had for daylight hours protection was smell. If someone can't stand the way your garage smells, to the point it is making them retch to remain in your garage then they aren't going to be able to steal your bike. It doesn't even have to be a bad smell.

Nip down the pound shop and buy 5 bottles of their finest perfume, or 5 cans of their best deoderant.

You could use compressed air again to rapidly spray this perfume into the air. It'd definitely make someone gag with it's potency. And if they hang around long enough to cut your chain and take your bike then police can go looking for someone who smells like pound shop perfume. :lol:

You could find a way of filling the air with chilli powder so that anyone breathing the air would want to leave very quickly. Again this could probably be done with compressed air.

Not sure where any of the above would leave you legally but I'd love to try them out! :twisted:
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    Maxticate wrote:
    I always like to think of garage security in terms of non lethal weaponry. :)

Making the garage where you store your bikes an undesirable place to be is going to put off anyone spending time in there trying to steal from you.

I thought that for daylight hours garage protection, sound could be used as a weapon to drive burglars away. Not piddly alarm"whoo whoo" sound but full on train airhorn maximum decibellage hitting them in the face sound. If it is unexpected then a sound that loud is going to shake someone up. More so if they are out trying to be quiet whilst commiting crime. Also if the decibel level is high enough then they aren't going to want to remain in the area carrying out crime.

A bit like wanting to move away from pnuematic drills at street roadworks when you have no ear protection.

So to do this you'd need a compressor, a horn and a pressure storage tank and a way of switching it on when intruders intrude and off when you want to go in.

The second idea I had for daylight hours protection was smell. If someone can't stand the way your garage smells, to the point it is making them retch to remain in your garage then they aren't going to be able to steal your bike. It doesn't even have to be a bad smell.

Nip down the pound shop and buy 5 bottles of their finest perfume, or 5 cans of their best deoderant.

You could use compressed air again to rapidly spray this perfume into the air. It'd definitely make someone gag with it's potency. And if they hang around long enough to cut your chain and take your bike then police can go looking for someone who smells like pound shop perfume. :lol:

You could find a way of filling the air with chilli powder so that anyone breathing the air would want to leave very quickly. Again this could probably be done with compressed air.

Not sure where any of the above would leave you legally but I'd love to try them out! :twisted:
    im with you on all of this, fancy teaming up to be the creators of the most powerfull anti theif system in the world? :wink: i was also thinkin about heat, what about HUGE gas powered heaters suddenly heating your garrage to 70C, i dont think i would be in there very long!
    I like bikes and stuff
  • ...or just start a skunk farm in your garage...
  • Maxticate - you remind me of that South African who invented a car alarm connected to flame throwers that shot flames out from under the door sills. Are you related?
  • HUGE gas powered heaters suddenly heating your garrage to 70C

The only trouble with that is anything in your garage that melts at less than 70°C gets cooked. Also heating that sort of space that quickly would take a lot of power. You could definitely hang space heaters, like the ones you get at barsso the smokers don't get cold. This would make it uncomfortable for the burglar.
    Maxticate - you remind me of that South African

Lol, I remember seeing that. The difference is that any of the things I described above would cause no permanent harm to the burglar. It won't damamge him/her permanently at all.

Some more ideas I had through the day yesterday were garage defence at night, a stroboscope or some flashbulbs that could be timed to go off some seconds after entry. If the burglar is looking in the right direction then they won't be able to see to steal things. You could place the flash bulbs all around the garage for 360° effect. You would need some big capacitors (from an old tele), a DC source to charge them and then a way of switching them on a timed circuit.

Obviously the effect would be diminished by putting the light on or the use of a torch.

How about marking the burglar, with something like smart water. In Milton keynes the garages often have high roofs with rafters. Position your desirables under the tallest area in your garage. Position a large bucket of water above the area with a method of opeing the bottom of it. Be it mechanical or electrical. If electrical a mecury switch would work. Attached to the bike or chain it'd work as a tremble device. If your bike is tampered with then boom 10 litres of cold water fall on the burglar. To make it smart water you could add some silver nitrate to the water and turn him purple! :o Thinking about it, this would work with the chilli powder as well :D

The big problem with all these systems is that they only work once, don't warn you your stuff is being stolen (with the exception of the train air horn) and if the burglar is a highly motivated individual he could force himself to overcome the unpleasantness to go get your bike. They could also work out a lot more expensive than £9.99 :lol:
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    it would be totaly woth it tho, think of the you tube hits a video of all that goin off would get.
    "Burgular gets owned"
    I like bikes and stuff
  • J55TTC
    J55TTC Posts: 224
    I just park the car up against the garage door :idea:
  • Hercule Q
    Hercule Q Posts: 2,781
    a device that launches a lead filled boot into the intruders crotch when the open the door or boobytrap the place ala home alone :lol:

pinkbike
    Blurring the line between bravery and stupidity since 1986!
  • Sloper
    Sloper Posts: 141
    A few years ago i got a secondhand wireless baby alarm/monitor off eBay for only fiver!
    To protect our motorcycles in the shed, I have the transmitter hidden in there, with the receiver on my bedside cabinet. It picks up the slightest of sounds ( I can hear the neighbour talking about me in his garden :lol:) and gives me great peace of mind at night. It works a treat and has been switched on 24/7 for about 5 years now. You need a mains power supply of course.
  • J55TTC wrote:
    A bit of a pain in the harris to have to move the car every time you want to get the bike out though?
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    as has been said....

if someone wants something badly enough....it doesn't matter a right royal nightie how much security you have...they will get it....

all you need to do is have enough protection to slow down the junkies and convince your insurance company that you tried to protect the stuff.

i like the look of this cheapy alarm.....might give something like that a wee look. although...i much prefer the leadfilledburglarcrotchbooter tm idea....
    :D
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • The problem with any audible alarm, is that they are forever going off accidently.

A well trained ex-police dog is far better around the home :)
    I admit that tying up 'K9' with the bike in the street would be a bit cruel though.

KK.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    What about the smoke device on here: http://fwd.five.tv/gadget-show/videos/t ... ty-gadgets

Not 100% convinced but it certainly looks cool!
  • J55TTC wrote:
    But all it takes is break the window release the handbrake to move the car.

Security fog generators I think work since how do they steal stuff they can't see?

That alarm will be off the wall and silenced in no time and it having a standard pir could end up causing false alarms.
  • J55TTC
    J55TTC Posts: 224
    J55TTC wrote:
    A bit of a pain in the harris to have to move the car every time you want to get the bike out though?

Not really, you can access the garage from inside the house.
    But all it takes is break the window release the handbrake to move the car.

Nope, my passat has an electronic handbrake, fob has to be in the ignition for it to work.
  • J55TTC wrote:
    Nope, my passat has an electronic handbrake, fob has to be in the ignition for it to work.
    Ok they will have having fun trying to move it, but was pointing out to others if they do that you will most likely have a broken window and your car moved if it's not like the passat.