My Running

Graydawg
Graydawg Posts: 673
Ok Guys - Running update again!

2 weeks ago I completed the First Loch Ness 120k Monster team challenge, which was basically a 4x30k cross country dualathon comprised of 10k run and a 23k xc MTB run around Loch Ness and the surrounding villages. It was amazing fun and a great day out.

I did legs 1 and 5 which was the 10k morning run and then the cycle late morning to early afternoon.
My times were 62 minutes for the 10k run – which was literally up out of Inverness on to the great glen way, which is a killer climb up! I then had a couple of hrs recovery before moving onto the XC MTB route, which was still along the great glen way. I overtook 43 people on this route, putting in a very respectable time of 64 minutes (average time to complete was 100-120minutes!)

I enjoyed it so much that I have now signed up for the Baxters Loch Ness 10k run – which is in 2 weeks time. Addicted to the running now too – hoping to put in a good time of <60minutes as this course is pretty flat….

Plus the fact I get soup and a roll at the end of it is minor encouragement!  lol
It's been a while...

Comments

• rhyko7
    rhyko7 Posts: 781
    good effort!

ive been thinking bout doing some offroad duathlons this year now ive started running again.

whats it like running with a camel bak, if you have?
    Dont look at it-ride it! they are tools not f*cking ornaments

my riding:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/rhyspect

Some of my Rides Data/maps:
    http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/Users/527337
  • personally i wouldn't run with a hydration pack, neither would i carry a bottle (i found that with any quantity of water in it. it inhibits the natural swing in your arms and makes my shoulder ache :oops:

I use this:
    nathan-belt-web.jpg

As the weight is around your hips/waist when running, this is the quietest part of your body with the least movement when running, meaning it hardly moves at all. For me it's good for half marathon distance in hot weather. I prefer to drink little and often otherwise i get stomach ache as i've drank to much in one go or i go lightheaded as i haven't drunk enough.
  • Sounds like a killer 10k time well done.!!

Im doing my 1st 10k in 10 years in a months time and im looking for a sub 58 on a relativley flat course :shock:

Mtb duathlon sound like a great idea :D
  • mea00csf wrote:
    I prefer to drink little and often otherwise i get stomach ache as i've drank to much in one go or i go lightheaded as i haven't drunk enough.

Same here - little and often seems to be the key for me. I would like to get a belt for carrying water as im just using a 400ml handle bottle (the ones you put your hand through) for running which is perfect amount for 10k but would be dry for anything longer than that i think....

Never did the running with the camelback - the way our team dualathon worked was that the person you passed the relay tag on to at the start of the next stage took your bag with them, so that you had your change of gear from running to MTB ready to go for your next stage (as I did stages 1 & 5, runner 2 did 2 & 6 and so on....) so it worked really well....

I wouldnt like to run with a camelback on as your back would just either get sore with the extra weight and / or get far too sweaty with the restricted air flow!
    It's been a while...
  • rhyko7
    rhyko7 Posts: 781
    Graydawg wrote:
    mea00csf wrote:
    I prefer to drink little and often otherwise i get stomach ache as i've drank to much in one go or i go lightheaded as i haven't drunk enough.

Same here - little and often seems to be the key for me. I would like to get a belt for carrying water as im just using a 400ml handle bottle (the ones you put your hand through) for running which is perfect amount for 10k but would be dry for anything longer than that i think....

Never did the running with the camelback - the way our team dualathon worked was that the person you passed the relay tag on to at the start of the next stage took your bag with them, so that you had your change of gear from running to MTB ready to go for your next stage (as I did stages 1 & 5, runner 2 did 2 & 6 and so on....) so it worked really well....

I wouldnt like to run with a camelback on as your back would just either get sore with the extra weight and / or get far too sweaty with the restricted air flow!

reason i ask is that i did an experiment a few days ago-i ran 21 km on a treadmill, i drank a 500ml bottle whilst running, i weighed myself before and after the run and found that i lost 1.6 kg which equated to quite a high cardio vascular drift (i used a Hr monitor) that means i sweated over 2 litres!

im supposed to run a half marathon race next month and am trying to figure the best way of staying hydrated, i do have a really small 1 litre camel bak i was thinking of trying.
    Dont look at it-ride it! they are tools not f*cking ornaments

my riding:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/rhyspect

Some of my Rides Data/maps:
    http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/Users/527337
  • try it on a test run.
    21k on a treadmill? are you mad? I'd be sooooo bored at the end of that :lol:

Treadmill running is easier as your foot moves backwards rather than moving your body forwards, 21k on road will feel harder (unless of course you ran with 1 or 2% incline on the treadmill)

I honestly can't recommend the hydration belts enough. You can still feel them there, but after trying other methods, camelbak, handheld donut bottle, the belt felt like being liberated. The one above holds about 700ml so might not be enough for some but for me that's a perfect half marathon amount, i just make sure i'm hydrated before and make sure i drink when i get back.
  • Loving the Doughnut bottle (loving the phrase too)

21km on a treadmill... I would die of boredom on that - there's only so much MTV you can watch!!

As for the 1-2% incline, I always run with that if treadmilling it - I find it too unnatural to run with the treadmill on 0% ...
    It's been a while...
  • well, i did a 10k race a t the weekend, improved my time from just under 55mins to 52m4s, which i am soooo chuffed with! Was a hard route round Blenheim Palace too, quite lumpy with a few km of offroad (half of that uphill to boot)
    Got my next race planned in about 4 weeks, a flatter road route 10k, so hopefully might knock a bit more off :D
  • Running is the new mountain biking. :D

I did my first running race last Sunday as well.
    10km in 50.04

Anyone know of any off road duathlons coming up ?
    I am a mountain biking god.
    Unfortunately, my bike's an atheist.
  • Graydawg
    Graydawg Posts: 673
    Did the Loch Ness 10k on Sunday - finished in 56:24 so pretty pleased with that time. Also managed to raise over £500 for Macmillan Cancer Care so thats all that matters!

Having a week off the excercise this week though - need a break from it all!!

:)
    It's been a while...