Vino / Astana

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited September 2009 in Pro race
The Astana situation is getting interesting.

Their PT licence would be pulled if Vino went into management of the team. Latest reports suggest Vino was going to hang up his bike after the worlds and ..... take over management.

But the UCI threats seem to have stopped that happening.

McQuaid wrote them a letter saying Vino must change his mind or provoke the destruction of the team.
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    iainf72 wrote:
    The Astana situation is getting interesting.

Their PT licence would be pulled if Vino went into management of the team. Latest reports suggest Vino was going to hang up his bike after the worlds and ..... take over management.

But the UCI threats seem to have stopped that happening.

McQuaid wrote them a letter saying Vino must change his mind or provoke the destruction of the team.

Is he banned from being a team manager ?
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    An interesting move from McQuaid. Does it say on what basis is he doing this? Which rule is he using? I worry that the UCI keeps making up things as it goes along but hopefully there are specific provisions to have "fit and proper" people running cycling teams. Does anyone know?
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    I'd guess it's being done under "ethical" rules. The PT licence guys have to rule on ethics too which is an interesting catch all. I don't believe it's been used before though.

I know McQuaid has been to see the Kazak's a fair bit so there are obviously some very real concerns.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • micron
    micron Posts: 1,843
    Funnily enough, not ethical rules but technical ones - seems Vino is registered as a rider, not a manager, therefore can't take responsibility as such.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,481
    I don't believe the UCI have specific rules on who can or cannot run a team. Once again this looks like a political decision made up on the fly.

If Vino is deemed unfit to manage a team, how do the likes of Bruyneel, Riis and many of their counterparts pass the criteria?
  • McQ stated that the Vino management thing is based on a rumour. As far as I can comprehend, Vino is riding the 2010 season and has not explicitly stated that he is taking over the team in the near future.
    Other reports suggest that the the new management will have a distinctly Dutch flavour.

Looking back at last weeks cycling news (I have been away and I am just catching up). McQuaid was making positive noises about Astana's future, then Bruyneel waded in blaming Vino for forcing him out of the team* (like he was going to stay :roll:) and suggesting that Vino is taking over and the the UCI should look into that with a view to removing the licence.

There are quite a few managers out there who are not ethically pure (Aldag, Riis, Bruyneel?).
    Vino has served his time, and is being treated as a 'special' case, rather unfairly IMHO.

* A year ago JB said there was no reason why AV should not return to Astana once his suspension was over. Wonder what changed his mind.
  • I think they should have Flavio Briatore running the team then we can go back to the good old days where they catch the train and throw tacks over their shoulders
  • Just read an extract from an interview with Patrick Lefevre where he states he is in contact with Alberto Contador and has agreed in principle to a two year deal with Contador being able to bring 5 riders with him. This is all subject to Contador being freed from his contract which again appears subject to the UCI license being revoked.

Quickstep are suppose to be the favourites to land Contador should this occur.
  • moray_gub
    kickerbri wrote:
    Just read an extract from an interview with Patrick Lefevre where he states he is in contact with Alberto Contador and has agreed in principle to a two year deal with Contador being able to bring 5 riders with him. This is all subject to Contador being freed from his contract which again appears subject to the UCI license being revoked.

Interesting as Quick Step are not renowned for signing GT riders and i am sure i read somewhere PL saying that they wouldnt spend big bucks on a GT rider again.
  • moray_gub
    Moray Gub wrote:
    kickerbri wrote:
    Just read an extract from an interview with Patrick Lefevre where he states he is in contact with Alberto Contador and has agreed in principle to a two year deal with Contador being able to bring 5 riders with him. This is all subject to Contador being freed from his contract which again appears subject to the UCI license being revoked.

Interesting as Quick Step are not renowned for signing big name GT riders and i am sure i read somewhere PL saying that they wouldnt spend big bucks on a GT rider again.
  • moray_gub
    Moray Gub wrote:
    kickerbri wrote:

Interesting as Quick Step are not renowned for signing big name GT riders and i am sure i read somewhere PL saying that they wouldnt spend big bucks on a GT rider again.
  • moray_gub
    Moray Gub wrote:
    kickerbri wrote:

• moray_gub
    Moray Gub wrote:
    kickerbri wrote:

• Kléber
    He's said he's interested and trying hard. His had is forced as his current squad just isn't delivering enough results for the wins. Also, get Contador on board and sponsors will be excited, since knowing a Tour win is almost guaranteed they will pay for this certain publicity.
  • moray_gub
    Kléber wrote:
    He's said he's interested and trying hard. His had is forced as his current squad just isn't delivering enough results for the wins. Also, get Contador on board and sponsors will be excited, since knowing a Tour win is almost guaranteed they will pay for this certain publicity.

Flanders and Roubaix isnt a bid return for a Belgian team from the Spring Classics and they had Barredo's win in San Sebastian. Id very surprised if QS signed Bertie and five riders to go with him just dont see that team as being the right one for him.
  • Kléber
    Trust me MG, the Quick-Step bosses wanted more this year. But like you, I'm not sure of QS is the right place for him, although he could join in the early season races from Paris-Nice to LBL quite well.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,481
    Leferve has a very poor record when it comes to signing Spanish GT riders. He seems to have the anti-Midas touch, i.e. Mercado and Pecharromán both of whom were brought in to lead the team in the Giro/Tour/Vuelta and then delivered next to nothing (although Mercado won a Tour stage to be fair).

Contador would get one of his demands met though, he'd be undisputed leader in the Tour (although one imagines Devolder would grumble to the press about it!)
  • andyp wrote:
    I don't believe the UCI have specific rules on who can or cannot run a team. Once again this looks like a political decision made up on the fly.

If Vino is deemed unfit to manage a team, how do the likes of Bruyneel, Riis and many of their counterparts pass the criteria?

This will be compulsory in a phased introduction over the next few years, starting with ProTour teams and working downward
    http://www.uci-academy.org/page.asp?id=497
    interview.cyclingfever.com
  • micron
    micron Posts: 1,843
    Guiseppi Martinelli to play a central role allegedly
  • micron wrote:

Yep. He's been named as the new Astana General Manager. Wasn't he allegedly partially responsible for sending Pantani off into his tailspin of excess?
    Let's close our eyes and see what happens
  • bipedal
    bipedal Posts: 466
    micron wrote:

Yep. He's been named as the new Astana General Manager. Wasn't he allegedly partially responsible for sending Pantani off into his tailspin of excess?

i.e., he has a proven track record of team management, not necessarily *good* management, but I don't see that worrying the UCI too much