Old bike - wheels

Nerrep
Nerrep Posts: 112
edited September 2009 in Workshop
Update: Managed to sort the tyres: my pump was lying to me. However I've now discovered a wheel issue: the front wheel is the original I think; at 630mm: obviously a bit bigger than standard (which the back is - 700c). If I want a new tyre on there (and it seriously needs it), am I going to have to buy a new wheel?

If I get a new wheel, will it fit? Vertically it should be fine (as 700c will be smaller than 630mm), but what about the horizontal distance?

Thanks.

Just purchased myself a 'vintage' (old and knackered) road bike. Condition seems generally pretty good, but I am concerned about the tyres.

The sidewalls (of the one I can read, at least) claim that they can be inflated to 68psi. Which I think they are blatently not: with a hard squeeze, I can actually touch the rim through the tyre. However, my pump is showing 68psi... Why is this, and how much further can I go before I risk blowing them off the rims?

I *think* the wheels are 700c: is this likely to be correct? If so, I presume I can just buy a new set of tyres and tubes and whack them on as normal despite the age of the wheels?

Thanks,

Comments

• gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    do they tyres say '622' anywhere - this the rim size of a 700c wheel - so a 23mm tyre is marked as 622-23

then you can buy any tyres an new tubes and fit them on - check the wheel rim has rim-tape fitted to cover the spoke nipples inside the rim and then you can run your new tyres at a proper pressure!

you can touch the rim cos 68psi is very very low! - i run my road tyres at 135psi!
  • Nerrep
    gkerr4 wrote:
    you can touch the rim cos 68psi is very very low! - i run my road tyres at 135psi!
    The tyres are rated at 68 PSI - they are ancient though. The weird bit is how soft they feel for this apparent pressure...
  • Nerrep
    And one wheel (the front) appears to be 630mm, and the back appears to be the standard 622mm (700c). New front wheel time?