Saint bashring fit XT HT2 chainset??

paulscutt
paulscutt Posts: 332
edited September 2009 in MTB general
I've just bought a Remedy 8 with XT hollowtech2 chainset - i wanna replace the outer ring with a shimano saint bashguard however the bike shop i bought the remedy from don't think it'll fit?

Anyone tried/have this set up or similar??

thanks!!
**2009 Trek Remedy 8**

Specialized P.3 (custom) w/ Deore hydro discs, XT group, Blackspire device, Mavic D321's

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    yes, it will be fine, but if you're going to buy the bashguard seperately, don't bother, it's crap. Get an E-thirteen or something instead.
  • bought it already however not fitted yet so can take it back if that bad?? its the honeycomb one from the saint chainset...
    **2009 Trek Remedy 8**

Specialized P.3 (custom) w/ Deore hydro discs, XT group, Blackspire device, Mavic D321's
  • Anonymous
    I got one with my saint Chainset, and what I found was that the bashring actually sits on metal inserts. One strong impact, and it pops the ring off the metal inserts.
    You can push it back on, but it becomes looser and looser until it's coming off all the bloody time.
  • can;t see any metal inserts on mine - seems as though its just plastic? its the one on eBay uk?
    **2009 Trek Remedy 8**

• the m810 honeycomb bash is pretty sweet!

Don't know what you mean about the inserts yehaa!
  • Anonymous
    hang on, I'll see if I#'ve still got it, and I'll get some photos.
  • that'd be cool, thx
    **2009 Trek Remedy 8**

• Anonymous
    right, here we go....
    this is the bashring that came with my Saint cranks...
    DSCF2185.jpg

And this is a close up of one of the metal inserts in situ...
    DSCF2191.jpg

And here's one of the metal inserts that fell out.
    DSCF2196.jpg

The inserts look like chainring spacers, but unfortunately, the outer diameter seems the same as a chainring bolt (the ones that came pre-fitted, anyway). So a big knock will just pop the ring over the bolt head.
    They also look like they've torn some plastic off with them when they came out, so I'm guessing maybe they were glued in originally.
  • it looks similar but mine def doesnt have the inserts, also mine is a dark blue transparent colour and is honeycomb on the underside...
    **2009 Trek Remedy 8**

• Anonymous
    The strange thing is, if I had washers, or maybe larger headed chainring bolts, it probably would have been fine.
    Anyway, it wa a bit on the small side, so I've opted for a larger e-thirteen one now.

The (newer) SLX bashring on my other bike actually looks more substantial than the Saint one. odd.
  • think i'm just gonna send it back and get a white e13 supercharger :)
    **2009 Trek Remedy 8**

• sending the saint bash back tomorrow and ordered a e13 super charger in white - should look good with the white frame of my remedy8
    **2009 Trek Remedy 8**