Forum home Mountain biking forum Events, competitions and races XC and Enduro

Anyone do the Merida Ruthin?

Dirtydog11Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
edited September 2009 in XC and Enduro
Hi all ,

Just wondering how everyone got on in yesterdays Ruthin Merida. I manged to complete the 50km in around 5 and half hours, not bad for my first one considering there was 1900m of climbing involved.

The weather held up nicely, although I understand it did rain Saturday night which meant
some of the grass decents where a bit greasy and caught one or two riders out.

I managed to go over the bars myself, the course was quite rutted in places and once your front wheel came out of the rut it was difficult to get it back in, hence the over the bars incident.


Anyone here do the 100km?

I remember sitting at the 25km feed point trying to imagine what another 75km would be like and feeling thankful that I only had another 25km to do.


Anyway thanks to the weather and the organisers a good day was had by all.

I'll be back for more next year.

Posts

  • I did the 100km and was feeling a very similar thing at the first feed point of "why couldn't I be doing the 50km?". That aside it was a very good day and finished in 6 hours riding time and 3/4 hours stopped. I'll definitely be doing it again next year if I can.
    Does anyone know when and where the photos are being published?
  • Never mind. I just found the website http://www.rightplacerighttime.co.uk/events.html Apparently the pictures should be up Tuesday evening.
  • Dirtydog11Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    RhysPeters wrote:
    I did the 100km and was feeling a very similar thing at the first feed point of "why couldn't I be doing the 50km?". That aside it was a very good day and finished in 6 hours riding time and 3/4 hours stopped. I'll definitely be doing it again next year if I can.
    Does anyone know when and where the photos are being published?

    Respect, 100km is a long way both physically and mentaly regardless of the time.

    The finish results are now online.

    http://www.mtb-marathon.co.uk/results/results.php

    I finished 72nd in my age group (veteran) out of 105, as it was my first one it was difficult to know how much I could push myself without burning out. I will be aiming for a top 50 finish next year!
  • +paul+paul Posts: 60
    Top marks to anyone who did it! I did the 25k with a friend, and thoroughly enjoyed it. This was our first Marathon, but won't be our last. I have looked through the results, and I am astounded by the results at the top of the 100km event. 4 hours and 9 minutes for Jonathan Pugh, and 25 people under 5 hours. In my book finishing is success enough! Well done to all.

    I will now need to focus on winter training if I am to extend the distance and improve the average speed for next year. I recently bought a Sigma 2006 MHR heart rate monitor - on the road climb up Moel Famau, I was getting between 180 and 190 bpm - ouch! At 45, my "max heart rate" should be 175 (according to Polar 220 - age calculation). Definitely pushing the envelope there then...
  • Great link! Looks like I just finished in the bottom half of the riders for the 100km. I'm very happy with that, I thought I was practically at the back. That's really good to look at as it was impossible to judge on the day roughly where you were compared to other people and also gives something to aim for next year :D
  • Dirtydog11Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    RhysPeters wrote:
    Great link! Looks like I just finished in the bottom half of the riders for the 100km. I'm very happy with that, I thought I was practically at the back. That's really good to look at as it was impossible to judge on the day roughly where you were compared to other people and also gives something to aim for next year :D

    You finished 23rd in your age group! :wink:
    +paul wrote:
    Top marks to anyone who did it! I did the 25k with a friend, and thoroughly enjoyed it. This was our first Marathon, but won't be our last. I have looked through the results, and I am astounded by the results at the top of the 100km event. 4 hours and 9 minutes for Jonathan Pugh, and 25 people under 5 hours. In my book finishing is success enough! Well done to all.

    +1 Some amazing times, well done to all!
  • DenuaDenua Posts: 29
    I was doing the 100k and was making good time to around 30k when i had a rather large off and buckled my rear wheel beyond repair and had to pull out, i was sooooo disapointed but i was loving it up to then and will be doing a few of them next year hopefully

    well done all,

    Den
  • did the Llanwyrted Wells one ealrier in the year, which was fun, but sadly missed this one as i injured my neck weekend before.

    what was the trail like, atmosphere was great at llanwyrted but the trail was mostly fire tracks and dull.
  • Did 100km in 5hrs10 with 15mins stoppage. Overall the day was excellent - excellent services etc. I live locally and it was nice to do local trails that I hadn't seen before. Hopefully I'll do it next year as well as a couple of others!
    Giant XTC SE 2006
    Cube LTD Race 2009
    Trek Fuel EX 9
Sign In or Register to comment.