New rider wanting some help....

Simon1890
Simon1890 Posts: 117
edited September 2009 in MTB beginners
Hi guys,

I relatively new to the cycling world but am loving it. I own both a road bike and an MTB bike, but prefer MTB XC riding, using the road bike for longer fitness rides....

I really want to get into more competitive cycling, preferably MTB racing but i know that's a long way off.....however with the right attitude and training (and diet!!) there's no reason i can't.

I'm 27, of average fitness at present (i'd estimate anyway) but am struggling to plan my own training plan etc...

My biggest problem is the fact i work shifts, including nights, so it's difficult to keep to a "3 shorter rides in the week and 1 or 2 longer rides at the weekend" kind of plan cause you can't do that with my shifts. I also work 10-12 hour shifts so fitting rides in when i do work is also difficult at times. I can't ride to work (yet - it's a little too far until i've got my fitness better - it's 24 miles each way) and riding to work would also involve cycling around 10 miles on a major road in pitch black (so would need really good lights!!) with cars doing 60 - 70 mph past me.....i already know cyclists have died after being hit on the road.

Can anyone give me advice on a person/fitness trainer i can speak to in person to go through everything i do in life and work out an effective eating and training plan taking into account my needs - without breaking the bank (in fact the cheaper the better).

If there's anyone out there who does serious training (not just random rides - something more structured) and does shift work can you tell me how you do it and how to work out a good training plan....hope that makes sense.

Cheers

Comments

• You don't need a physical trainer or coach, just a little commitment, a slightly sugary diet, and practise practise practise. Aim to improve your performance (both on and off roads) only slightly more each week, and gradually ease yourself into a routine that eventually becomes the norm. Drink lucosade beforelonger duration runs, and just time yourself on a variaty of different terrains, both in the dry and in the wet.

I used to work shifts too once, but the fact is that the human body can only do so much in one day.. after that you are just straining yourself which is not productive towards overall fitness. Always do simple limb warm up exercises before riding, and the rest will come to you naturally...

KK (hoping he does not sound too much like Jedi Yoda)
  • alright m8, be careful wot advise u take on this, i have just joined a gym to get fitter for riding, and the trainer is giving me a free assesment of my fitness, im the same age as yourself and maybe same at a similar fitness level. spin fit maybe a good way to get fit classes last 30 to 45mins and wouldnt take u much of ur time, and really get u fit.

ur diet is very imprtant aswell if ur wanting to step up a noch. there is alot of advice out there, sugar rushes isnt the way forward ur body produces natural sugars and u find u sugars in most foods anyway. get some proper advice.
  • Hi Simon,

I used to live about 25 miles from work and I used to take the train some of the way and then bike the rest. I found that helped to get me out on the bike without having to do 50 miles a day (even most of the crazy roadies over in the other forum aren't doing that much - despite what they tell you! :wink: )

Other than that I've never worked shifts, I'm afraid, so I don't know what it takes out of you physically.

What I CAN say is that you don't have to be 'good' to take part in mtb XC events! Depending on where you live there should be a few local races you can take part in. These will usually have a fun or beginners category which is an excellent place to start. I've seen people do fun category races on BMX bikes, in jeans, on Halfords BSOs, in full-face helmets... You name it! The point is that you don't have to be dressed head to toe in team-issue lycra to do a race! I definitely recommend just getting out and doing one.

bikemagic.com has a pretty good events calendar, or you could check out the calendar at britishcyling.org.uk for local events. Try also xcracer.com or even contact your local mtb club. Unfortunately, the season is tailing off now but there are still some events coming up depending on where you're based.