Freewheel sounds like its freewheeling - under power!

salsajake
salsajake Posts: 702
edited September 2009 in The workshop
Tiagra hub with about 3000-4000 miles and no servicing on it over the past 2 years. Have recently noticed that when riding past close walls etc I can hear the freewheel making the ratchety freewheel sound (not Hope loud, but audible nonetheless) when I am pedalling and drive is engaged. I haven't noticed any loss in efficiency, slippage or failure to pick-up when moving away, but I can't recall it (or other freehubs) doing this before. Is it possible some of the pawls aren't engaging fully anymore, in which case presumably wear will be increased and there must be some loss in efficiency? Am thinking of pulling it apart this weekend and giving it a (probably terminally overdue) clean up, but is that likely to mean writing it off as it may go all Humpty Dumpty on me (and not go back together again)?

Comments

• shimano freehubs are basically non serviceable.

much more likely to be something else that freewheel making the noise, i'd do hub bearings and clean chain etc.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    If there's no slippage then the bike can't be freewheeling - you'd really notice, and be disturbed by, even a small slippage. Are you sure it's not some other similar noise which you're hearing in echo? For example, the straps on SKS raceblades make pretty much the same noise when they flap against the spokes!

It's amazing the way sound travels on a bike and the surprising things which cause it. At the moment I have a noise which makes it pretty clear something is interfering with the revolution of the rear wheel, making a quiet and somehow soft/sloppy noise rather than the more usual hard tick. Not a clue what's doing it - visually everything seems tickety-boo...
  • Thanks for the replies, granted I had no idea what to expect when attempting to disassemble - I did a cracking job on a mate's campag freehub with no idea what I was doing, so glad I didn't embark on this! It could be the jockey wheels and/or their bearings I guess, as I am onto my 2nd cassette but they are the originals and they are in need of replacement. Will give everything a good clean and re-lube this weekend, though I did the rear hub bearings only about a month or so ago, so I don't think it could be those, unless it didn't go back together properly afterwards!
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Probably just the chain running over the cogs and jockey wheels!
  • supersonic wrote:

Yeah, that was my first thought... Can you tell if it's worse when running harsh chain angles? Might just be that that's causing it.
    Alternatively, if it's worst in the gears you use most, then those sprockets are worn, if it's worst in the gears you use least, the chain is worn....

Also check the bleedin' obvious- is your chain catching the front mech cage, or something similar!

Cheers,
    W.
  • supersonic wrote:

Yeah, that was my first thought... Can you tell if it's worse when running harsh chain angles? Might just be that that's causing it.
    Alternatively, if it's worst in the gears you use most, then those sprockets are worn, if it's worst in the gears you use least, the chain is worn....

Also check the bleedin' obvious- is your chain catching the front mech cage, or something similar!

Cheers,
    W.

bleedin' obvious all checked! Chain and sprockets all only a few months old, but it could be that the chain needs a good clean (about 3 weeks since) and I'll have a good look at the jockeys too