Pro Kit Wearing

sonny73
sonny73 Posts: 2,203
edited September 2009 in Pro race
I know many would never wear a pro team kit for numerous reasons and fair enough if you wouldn't and each to their own etc. But for those of you that do or would let me ask you this:

I was browsing the web and spotted Prendas have an old Liberty Seguros jersey for sale at £29.99 which got me to thinking, for those of you that WOULD wear a pro kit would you be put off buying an old school(ish) kit where the team has been associated with a doping scandal which resulted in the team in that guise disbanding?

Comments

• Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Every team has had bad riders associated with it at one point or another (except some of the most modern teams).

And every team has had it's heroes.

To each their own - if you want to wear the kit, then go for it. Up until VERY recently, I only wear replica kit. Now it's replica/club kit, depending on the day/ride/event.

Don't care what has previously been associated with the team. If you like it enough to wear it - that's all that matters.
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    The Liberty kit is quite good quality too (Etxeondo).
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • if you are being selective on team jerseys where doping scandals are not in their past then thats a very small list !

wear what you like, I have a full on banesto kit that I wear and I have plain kit, go with what you feel and sod anyone else
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    I've got a few replica jerseys. I've only ever considered what the jersey looks like - never whether I liked the team or it's riders.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    Personally it wouldn't put me off at all, just got me thinking if it would anyone else.
    Got to say good choice on the Banesto kit :D and whilst on the topic of old kits, I also noticed Probikekit have a re-run of the old Fassa Bortolo kit (lovely it is too): http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=C5386
  • Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    Maybe you could get hold of a replica doping program, you know, to knock it up a notch?
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • Stuey01 wrote:
    Maybe you could get hold of a replica doping program, you know, to knock it up a notch?

Yeah that would be good, you could choose your gear accordig to the era of the kit

Motorola EPO and HGH insulin roids

US Postal EPO / top ups plus the kfc ingredient

Astana CERA, EPO microdosing and re fills

:):D
  • csp
    csp Posts: 777
    The one thing I don't like about "pro team gear" is that they are usually made from the cheapest materials. The two exceptions may be Assos and Santini's "original team issue" gear, which they make for tscyclingusa.com.
  • Like a football fan who has to buy a new club shirt each season, I went through a phase of buying new CSC kit each year until it became Saxobank. Not the cleanest of teams by reputation, but they did have one of the smartest kits for about four years and they had/have Jens Voigt. The Liberty Seguros kit is particularly stylish I have to say. Obviously the general public at large won't know about the teams various, ahem, indiscretions over the years but other roadies would do but probably wouldn't bat an eyelid. The only kit's that ever offended me any time I saw someone wearing them were US Postal because every man and his dog seemed to wear it, and regular 4th Cat cyclists wearing World Champion jerseys.
    Let's close our eyes and see what happens
  • emadden
    emadden Posts: 2,431
    I have a nice Amore e Vita McDONALDS team kit ... i wear it not becos I like the team... I just like Big Macs :-) especially after a long 150km over the hills arround here :-) Granted I would be much quicker over the hills and mountains if I didnt visit Ronald and friends... but, life is short and I'm lovin it :-) :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

mcdonalds_kit_08_zipl.jpg
    www.dotcycling.com
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I have an FDJ kit and love it...
  • emadden
    NapoleonD wrote:
    I have an FDJ kit and love it...

The spring season or the summer one? (i.e. white shorts?)
    www.dotcycling.com
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    oooh, spring, not summer :shock:
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    The only kit's that ever offended me any time I saw someone wearing them were US Postal because every man and his dog seemed to wear it, and regular 4th Cat cyclists wearing World Champion jerseys.

I think you need to chill a bit if you are offended by someone wearing a cycling kit, whether it be USPS the Rainbow jersey or anything else for that matter.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • emadden wrote:
    I have a nice Amore e Vita McDONALDS team kit ... i wear it not becos I like the team... I just like Big Macs :-) especially after a long 150km over the hills arround here :-) Granted I would be much quicker over the hills and mountains if I didnt visit Ronald and friends... but, life is short and I'm lovin it :-) :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

McD's and cycling, no thanks!
    Colnago C60 SRAM eTap, Colnago C40, Milani 107E, BMC Pro Machine, Trek Madone, Viner Gladius,
    Bizango 29er
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Flanners1 wrote:
    emadden wrote:

The Pope's a fan though
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    Flanners1 wrote:
    emadden wrote:

The Pope's a fan though

McDs or cycling or both ?
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Flanners1 wrote:

Coke as well - maxing out on the nastiest, least ethic companies though at least in Cokes case the product has some value :lol:

I like the Prendas retro jerseys - the proper retro stuff eg pre 90s at least.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,707
    wear what you like, I have a full on banesto kit that I wear and I have plain kit, go with what you feel and sod anyone else
    Agreed. This has been discussed before and I don't see the problem - if you like team x, you wear their kit.

And if you're old enough to post on these forums you should be able to make your own mind up what to wear.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • The Pope's a fan though[/quote]

The Pope hasn't got the best track record for 'liking' things..... ahem Hitler Youth ahem
  • emadden
    The Pope's a fan though
    The Pope hasn't got the best track record for 'liking' things..... ahem Hitler Youth ahem

The McDonald's version of the kit is cooler

AP-3-31-04%20822am.jpg

Pope John Paul had impeccable taste... Look at him here checking out a Campy chainset:

50th_ann_campy_Pope.jpg
    www.dotcycling.com
  • bikerZA
    bikerZA Posts: 314
    Old Festina kit - retro doping chic at it's best.
  • neilo23
    neilo23 Posts: 783
    Don't know if you're a football fan, but would you stop wearing your favourite team's football shirt if one or 2 players regularly got sent off?