Fox Float RL Fork Set-up

steelo
steelo Posts: 542
edited September 2009 in MTB general
I have a 140mm Float fork on my new full-suss and i'm not sure I have the sag set-up correctly. I've followed the Fox guidelines of setting the pressure to match my weight but it feels too stiff. Mojo recommend measuring the 'actual' full travel and setting it between 25-30% when you are in 'attack' position standing on the pedals.

My main question is how do you measure the actual full travel of the suspension? I'm guessing I let most of the air out and see how far the fork compresses till it bottoms out, or would this damage the fork and if so is there a better way?

I'll leave rebound damping for another day!
Specialized Rockhopper '07
Trek Fuel EX8 '09

Comments

• Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    If you have a 140mm fork that's what it is ;)

To check put a zip tie around the stanchion & let all the air out of the fork, then re-pressurise the fork & measure the distance to the zip tie

25-30% is a rough guide to sag, you can adjust this to your liking, the fork should bottom out maybe once or twice on a ride when you hit something big & hard (oo-er!)

Rebound set it so it's not too slow to compact down over several quick hits & not too fast as to buck you about. 2/3rds towards fast works for me.
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • steelo
    steelo Posts: 542
    Here is the next question then;

Is fast the '+' or the '-'? The way I see it the '+' is for more rebound damping, i.e. takes longer to rebound and therefore the fork returns slower. The '-' is for slower damping, i.e. the fork returns quicker.

So a couple of clicks nearer the '-' from the middle setting?
    Specialized Rockhopper '07
    Trek Fuel EX8 '09
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    Just have a play around & see what works, my Float R's are well used & yours need bedding in so they may well need different settings
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    I found I needed a lot less air in my Float RL than what was recommended. The PSI in the manual gave me less than 10% sag.
  • paggnr
    paggnr Posts: 101
    I found I needed a lot less air in my Float RL than what was recommended. The PSI in the manual gave me less than 10% sag.

I too needed much less air than quoted.
    Cheers
    Pagey
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx
  • paggnr wrote:

I too needed much less air than quoted.

Likewise, my F-100RLs are much comfier and perform much better since I dropped the pressure.

In my experience, the only real way to get the pressure right is to have a play about with it at home, then take your shock pump out on a test ride for some fine tuning.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    steelo wrote:
    Here is the next question then;

Is fast the '+' or the '-'? The way I see it the '+' is for more rebound damping, i.e. takes longer to rebound and therefore the fork returns slower. The '-' is for slower damping, i.e. the fork returns quicker.

So a couple of clicks nearer the '-' from the middle setting?
    + is more damping, or slower damping (fork rebounds slower)
    - is for less damping, or faster damping (fork rebounds quicker)