How do you pronounce Commençal ??

2»

Comments

• Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    edited September 2009
    Did it not occur that the word "commence" is very similar?

No it isn't, the start is the same but the relevant part's completely different, as it's followed by an e not an a. Like I said, : "ca" in english is almost always a hard k, what "ce" or "cy" sounds like isn't relevant at all. If the bike was called a Commencel you'd have a point...

Find me 5 "ca"s in english that are pronounced "sa". I dares you. I'm throwing down the phonetic gauntlet :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Northwind
    stubs wrote:
    I think you will both find its pronounced bike

But is bike pronounced bike or bice?
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Northwind wrote:
    Find me 5 "ca"s in english that are pronounced "sa". I dares you. I'm throwing down the phonetic gauntlet :lol:

Where's the subscribe to thread button, I can't wait to see him do this... :lol:
    Less internal organs, same supertwisted great taste.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Northwind wrote:
    Did it not occur that the word "commence" is very similar?

No it isn't, the start is the same but the relevant part's completely different, as it's followed by an e not an a. Like I said, : "ca" in english is almost always a hard k, what "ce" or "cy" sounds like isn't relevant at all. If the bike was called a Commencel you'd have a point...

I'm not taking that challenge up, to be honest, I couldn't care less, because English is so inconsistent with it's language rules anyway.
    Take the word Celtic, for example. According to English rules, it should theoretically be "Seltic", but it isn't (unless you're referring to a particular football team :roll: )

Let's put it this way then. I found the pronounciation of Commencal pretty damned obvious, even though I speak virtually no French, and haven't really been taught English formally.
  • mac_man
    mac_man Posts: 918
    What about these...

SRAM

Bontrager

Deore

(Don't want to look a cock when talking to bike dudes...)
    Cool, retro and sometimes downright rude MTB and cycling themed T shirts. Just MTFU.

By day: http://www.mtfu.co.uk
  • Northwind
    Take the word Celtic, for example. According to English rules, it should theoretically be "Seltic", but it isn't (unless you're referring to a particular football team :roll: )

Celtic isn't an english word, is the thing. IIRC Keltic with a hard K is from greek, Celtic with a soft C is from some sort of dead spanish language I think. Ah, the useless crap your dad tells you.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    mac man wrote:
    What about these...

SRAM

Bontrager

Deore

(Don't want to look a fool when talking to bike dudes...)

SRAM is sram with equal emphasis on all letters its the initials of the blokes who started the company

Bontrager the man himself seems to say it bonntrigger

Deore who knows cyclists have been debating that one for about 30 years the original Deore had a stags head logo on it so I have always said deer
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap