Stem length for XC?

The Northern Monkey
The Northern Monkey Posts: 19,174
edited September 2009 in MTB general
Just wondering what stem length people use for XC?

I use a short (50mm) stem for my freeride bike, but what would you use for XC?

100mm seems to be aroudn the norm, but jsut wanna know what people actually use!

Comments

• blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    edited September 2009
    60 with 700 bars

I could go to 70 ...and very slight chance I'd go to 80. Outside of that I'd be buying a longer top tube length. But that's just my personal pref.
  • I use 50-70mm. My preference would be 50 but I was bashing my knees on the shifter pods so I added 20mm and it helped. 90mm I found gave funny handling

if you like the handling of a 50mm stem, chances are you will want the same, even if the HA is steeper. Or maybe that's just me. Dunno really.
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • Personal preference, anything too short can result in the front end becoming very twitchy.

I have always run 90mm - right for me, plants me firmly over the front end.
  • jayson
    jayson Posts: 4,606
    My old bike had a 110mm stem on it and it felt perfect, i wouldnt have wanted anything longer than that on it.

The old days of 150mm stems have long gone and thankfully taken dayglo lycra with it :wink::D
  • depends on the frame, I'd always ride with wide bars and a stubby stem, but i need enough length to stretch out still, 45-50 mm on by inbred and 456.
  • fair enough cheers guys :)

Has given my food for thought!
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    50-70 mm sharpens up the front end without making it twitchy. 100 mm+ feels like the front wheel is in the next county.
  • Good job I took that 100mm stem out of my basket and replaced it with a 70mm then!!
  • Steve_b77
    Steve_b77 Posts: 1,680
    I run a 90mm stem with 685mm wide bars on my Handjob, just about perfect for wht the bike is aimed at doing
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Depends on so many things.

100mm on the Zaskar LE
    80mm on the Zaskar Carbon

The top tube of the Zaskar Carbon is 20mm longer than the LE, and both with steep seat angles which pushes weight forward.
  • RealMan
    RealMan Posts: 2,166
    100mm thomson, 660mm bars.
  • 75mm or something on my cove. was 100 but swapped it years back and the clouds drew back and the sun shone on me as though I had found the keys to the kingdom of heaven.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    100mm for XC for me.

70mm for the FR HT.

50mm for the FR fully.

i bet the 70mm will be too short for you as you are not short Ben.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    What sort of XC are we talking about? If you're looking at racing then the answer might be different to something for a more general trail riding machine.

There's a whole lot of personal preference/matching to the bike too. Perhaps find a good LBS that will let you try a few different lengths and rises to experiment before buying the right one?
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    For me personally any stem over 80 mm means the frame is too short but I always use an inline post which must make a difference
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • nicklouse wrote:
    100mm for XC for me.

70mm for the FR HT.

50mm for the FR fully.

i bet the 70mm will be too short for you as you are not short Ben.

hruummmm.

well i was originally looking at a 90mm with 6deg upsweep... really don't want slow handling :(
  • blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    edited September 2009
    Tough call judging it though as supersonic says so many factors. You're not wrong in trying to replicate your freeride set up you've been using for a long time. Depends what overall frame geometry you've gone with and top tube length you've gone for, I spose. If you've got a fair bit of room on the TT then 70 should work for you quite nicely. Smaller TT length less roomy then obviously take your pick of stem lengths from 80 upwards.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Ben get the tape measure out and see how the two frames compare it TT length.

NO dont go by the figures on the net.

you now have an idea as to what length stem you need for the same reach.

I would then add a bit for the 29er.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • I'm quite tall with long arms, and so swear by my 130mm stem at 0deg rise.
    I think there is a simple rule about selecting stems, which is just to find what is most comfortable for you. I find that some riders try too hard to make do with a short stem (say 100mm) when in reality they are more stable when riding with longer stems.

Stem rise is completely personal preference. I only like perfectly flat bars for more precise technical steering.

KK.