worried

Matt the Tester
Matt the Tester Posts: 1,261
edited September 2009 in Road beginners
whie i was out yesterday i got speaking to someone who said to be that a 58" frame would be too big for me....im 6'1 or just under that but im concerned the frame won't be the right size for me now.

is it the right size?
Coveryourcar.co.uk RT Tester
north west of england.

Comments

• mikeq
    mikeq Posts: 141
    58cm.

I'm about 6' 3" and have a specialized allez 09 58cm frame, still feels big to me. Used to have a Giant OCR2 57cm frame and that felt a better size
    Cycling from Glasgow to Paris to raise funds for Asthma UK

www.velochallenge.org
  • I'm 6'3" and 58cm is a tad small for me. I need at least 60 or 61cm. This is primarily because I have a relatively long torso rather than long legs so I need the extra length in the top tube to stretch me out over the bike properly. Having said that, I ride a 58cm bike everyday to and from work and am not uncomfortably on it. I have a lot of seat pin showing though to give the right height.

Different bikes have different proportions and angles, so a 58cm frame in one bike may be OK, whereas in another brand, not. It's a bit more complex than just quoting your height on a website and everyone telling you what size bike you need. You need to test a few out.
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • it depends on what bike, it's all about the top tube m8. this will vary from brand to brand, ie a TREK 58cm may have a TT of 565mm where as a CUBE 58cm may have a 520mm TT length.

My Bike is a 62cm with a TT of only 576mm, my next Bike will be a 58cm with a TT of 570mm.

BTW I am 6' 2"
  • what frame would u suggest t the bike im getting is a dawes giro 300
    north west of england.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    You're in the right height range for this length of top tube but with only three sizes in the range there's not much choice. You are borderline for the smaller size so it depends if you're relatively shorter on top (and arms) than in the legs.
    Are you sure th is the bike you want and can you not try one out? I thought you could get better for the money but i might be wrong.
  • +1 for being able to get better for the money (But I remember you mentioning a deal so your dad couldn't find out or something? ;) )

'09 bikes are starting to get reduced, so you could get a better spec for the same price. I will have a browse and post a few.
    Road: Felt AR0, Di2
    Touring/commute: Dolan Multricross
    TT: PX Exocet Sold because it was like a sail in the wind (sh*t)
  • STEFANOS4784
    STEFANOS4784 Posts: 4,109
    edited September 2009
    I'm 6' and ride a 57 frame with pretty standard geometry.However i also have a 54 frame as well. Both feel good in there own ways and have not had any back or knee problems etc since i 1st started and that was probably down to lack of core strength. What is it about the frame which doesn't feel right? :?
  • the size of it tbh.
    north west of england.
  • :? Do you feel to stetched out? Post a piccie of you on the bike, then see what folk reckon, there will be ajustments you can make ie stem saddle, seatpost layback etc
  • i dont have the bike yet mate i was riding another bike yesterday.

when i was riding yesterday i raised the seat and handle bars but i didnt feel any better perhaps i just need to get used to being in that position?

i was riding a barracuda yesterday, cant remember anything else about the bike other then it being blue.
    maybe it was too small and i was over reaching?
    north west of england.
  • Have you ridden road bike before? If so what sizes have you tried? The bike yesterday could have different geometry to the Dawes.

P.s a 58" frame would probably be abouut right for a giraffe :wink::lol:
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    I'm a 6 footer and ride a 56cm Trek. But (dare I say it), Lance Armstrong rides a 58 in the same bike. And he's 5-9"!! So as others say - it depends on the bike, the rider, your comfort levels, etc.

58cm would not be too big for a 6-1" rider in most cases.
  • Have you ridden road bike before? If so what sizes have you tried? The bike yesterday could have different geometry to the Dawes.

P.s a 58" frame would probably be abouut right for a giraffe :wink::lol:
    never ridden a road bike before yesterday and i done 50miles i think the frame size was a 56.
    north west of england.
  • Hmmmmm, so if a 56cm frame was not comfortable then i highly doubt something smaller will suit, tricky really, you probably do just need to get used to the riding style a road bike offers......................
    Anyone else?
  • Frame & Fork:

Frame Material:Tig-welded and shaped 6061 aluminium, replaceable gear hanger.
    Frame Weight (g):1815 g
    Fork Model:Hi-ten steel unicrown with 1 1/8in steerer and forged dropouts
    Fork Weight:1095 g

Geometry:

Seat Angle:72.5 Degrees
    Head Angle:70 Degrees

Brakes:

Brakes Model:Tektro alloy dual-pivot sidepulls

Transmission:

Cranks Model:Shimano FC-AO50, alloy 170mm arms, steel spider/rings
    Bottom Bracket Model:Sealed Cartridge
    Rear Derailleur Model:Shimano RD-2200
    Front Derailleur Model:Shimano FR-2200
    Shifters Model:Shimano ST-2200 16 speed STI
    Cassette:Shimano HG50
    Pedals Model:Black resin

Wheels:

Front Wheel Weight:1522 g
    Rear Wheel Weight:2167 g
    Rims Model:Double wall CNC sidewall
    Front Hub Model:Quando 32H alloy black
    Rear Hub Model:Quando 32H alloy black
    Tyres Brand:Kenda

Contact Points:

Saddle Model:Dawes road
    Seatpost Model:Alloy 27.2mm x 300mm
    Stem Model:Alloy A-head
    Handlebar Model:Alloy road bar

:

Top Tube:56 cm
    Wheelbase:103.3 cm
    Bottom Bracket Height (cm):28.5 cm
    Chainstays (cm):42.5 cm
    Seat Tube (cm):49 cm
    Standover Height (cm):79 cm

this might help.
    north west of england.
  • ill find that out shortly.
    north west of england.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    I hope it fits really well and you're getting it cheap because (trying not to rude) it sounds a bit horrid. A 1kg steel fork! People looking at a similar price point swear by the Specialized Allez.
  • lol, thats ure opinion and i appreciate it ill probs upgrade this bike over time if possible so ill change most things..
    north west of england.
  • ok just spoken to my bike dealer..

he says the stem on the bike i was riding is too long for me AND i was riding a 58cm frame but my only problem was the stem and not being used to it.

the stem is smaller on the bike on buying.
    north west of england.
  • :D 4th of this month coming, another 2 weeks to go =/ but it will surely be worth it :D
    north west of england.
  • Aye, make sure you get some piccies up when it arrives(then you can start upgrading-it's a long and expensive road :wink: )
  • haha tell me about it lol, do you think this would be nice if i started saving for a few years? lol.

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/cate ... ustom-9292
    north west of england.
  • woah start saving lol want to help me? ill give you my old frame.=p
    north west of england.