700c suspension corrected rigid fork...

tyax
tyax Posts: 106
edited September 2009 in Workshop
Not sure if this is in the right "area", but will give it a go...

My Focus hybrid has an horrendous, lardy and utterly unnecessary Suntour NEX suspension on it. Not too sure what I need to replace it with something a bit more rigid, but I guess, from the interwebs, that I need a suspension corrected doofer? :oops:

Have seen the Surly Karate Monkey, at around £70, which seems pricey... but am not even sure if it'd fit the wheels on my hybrid :?

Any other, preferably cheaper ideas?

Thankee in advance :D
2010 Specialized Competition Secateurs, hell yeh ;)

Comments

• maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    depending on your brakes, a CX fork should be fine. They are usually about 40cm crown-to-axle so will probably be shorter than your current fork but it'll be fine in practice.

See Kenesis, ebay, various carbon offerings etc. Depends on budget and whether you want carbon or alu.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • I am also looking at replacing my hybrid suspension fork with a rigid one. I am looking at the threadless Tange 29" Prestige Fork # T-2405. 29" is the same wheel size as 700c, and this one is suspension corrected. They make one for disc brakes and one for cantilever. It is about $50 USD. It was the only one I could find. So this is a 700c suspension corrected rigid cro-moly fork. I wanted cro-moly anyway because I can continue to be careless about bumping into curbs, etc. If your fork doesn't have much suspension you might not need a suspension corrected fork. I've seen some that say they only have 45mm of travel, etc and perhaps those won't need them, I don't know. My bike's fork has 2.4" of max. travel per the specs, so I'll need a suspension corrected one, otherwise my head tube will be lowered by 4cm+ and I don't know what that will do overall.
  • Kona do a 700c version of the Project 2 rigid fork
    Alex