Big question.

JAKBLADE
JAKBLADE Posts: 336
edited September 2009 in MTB general
Shimano OR Sram????
Project Finished....On-one Inbred..
Specialized Hardrock A1 Comp FS(1999-2000)
Carrera Subway 2 (for work)
Hoffman BMX (please don't hold this one against me!!)

Comments

• dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    Can of Worms or Kettle of Fish?
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    why?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I think SRAM make the better forks.
  • nicklouse
    not too keen on the Sram cranks though.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • we are not roadies....

it's personal preference, now hit the trails.
  • I considered using Sram for my new build, but I could get XT, at the time, for a cheaper price...so I went Shimano route. And, one day, I will eventually put the bloody thing together! :wink:

I've never used Sram derailleurs, shifters etc., but a couple of my mates use Sram and they are big fans. That said, Shimano has always performed well for me. I will try Sram one day though.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Marin
    SS Inbred
    Mongoose Teocali Super
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Both good, just feel different. I like SRAM, for the clunk. Others like Shimano for the no-clunk. Whatever floats your boat.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Never mentioned 'owt about roadies.......Just interested in peoples views, looking at changing/upgrading my gearset inthe future and found some reasonable prices for x.7/x.9 and for SLX stuff thats all.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    WHat do you have at the minute?
  • nicklouse
    JAKBLADE wrote:
    Never mentioned 'owt about roadies.......Just interested in peoples views, looking at changing/upgrading my gearset inthe future and found some reasonable prices for x.7/x.9 and for SLX stuff thats all.

So why not say so at the start?

and what are you actually wanting to change?
  • roadies perpetually argue shimano campagnolo.

Are you on shimano or sram atm?

if you like it stick with it, if you don't hugely then change.

Beware you'll lose the finger shifting on the release, SRAM is thumb thumb only
  • SRAM on the 5-Spot and Record on the road bike...

Simples....
  • Supersonic, still running the original cranks/chainrings from new, starting to get a bit worn now(sq.taper,un53 bb). shifters and front mech are Shimano but doesn't say what they are,rear mech is deore. By the way shifters and cassette(hg50) are 8spd.
    Just found these what do you reckon: Raceface ride XC cranks,Pg970+pc971,cassette/chain,SLX rear mech,front mech and shifters....£176....
  • SRAM don't do low normal. Damn them
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • Never used SRAM for anything other than chains(and Rock Shox, but I think thats beside the point in this case), shimano XT has always been good and reliable so no need to change. The powerlink in the chains is easier than the joining pin in the shimano chains though.

[EDIT - I did have some Truativ cranks back in 2005-6 (were they part of sram back then?) that didn't last all that long come to think of it, they got replaced with XT]
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Got Sram on my new bike.
    Don't like it - will be going back to shimano when the mechs, or shifters wear out.

The thumb-thumb thing drives me up the bloody wall, and the general build quality is very poor. Mech developed bad slop after a month's riding (bearing in mind I had a dodgy knee, so wasn't covering a lot of miles back then).

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, I fing the quality, and the amount of thought gone into the engineering and manufacture on SRAM gear appaling.
  • RichMTB
    RichMTB Posts: 599
    Each to there own,

Ive got SRAM X-9 on my full sus and XT on my hardtail.

I prefer the clunk of the Sram shifters and actually like the "thumb - thumb" thing. As the Sram stuff pulls more cable its easier to maintain and set up (which is good because I'm lazy when it comes to maintenance)

Never had reliability issue with either (replaced my X-9 mech after 3 years as it was developing a bit of slop)
    Step in to my hut! - Stumpy Jumpy Pacey
  • alomac
    alomac Posts: 189
    I feel like a bit of wierdo because I've never had SRAM, but I always use my Shimano thumb-thumb. I think the Tourney shifters on my old "MTB" in 2000 were thumb-thumb which is how I picked up the habit. Good thing too, because on my current setup, with the controls moved inboard enough to let me grip the brake lever properly, I can't reach the shifters with my index finger anyway.

Like a lot of people, I guess, I'd just lump whatever the bike came with.
  • Decided inthe end to go with what I know and bought SLX gearset(rear/front mech+shifters) , 2010 Deore crankset and SRAM pg970 cassette, pc971 chain. All for the princely sum of 156 engilsh pounds and 6 pennies. Not a bad deal me thinks.....
  • P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    SRAM (group)

Chain
    Brakes
    Derailer - rear
    Shifters

Shimano

Chainset
    Pedals
    Derailer Front
    Cassett

I couldn't think of ever using one for everything, that's just silly.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    I prefer finger-thumb shifting and for that reason alone I'd stick with Shimano rear dérailleurs. As for everything else though, not fussed.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • Beardface
    Beardface Posts: 5,495
    XT groupset with SRAM PC991 chain

Personal preference really though I guess..