Is it possible to wash one's helmet?

Flying Monkey
Flying Monkey Posts: 51
edited September 2009 in MTB general
At the risk of attracting some double entendre responses.
My helmet could do with freshening up after a number of hot and sweaty rides.
Is it possible to put it in a bowl with some detergent, or could this cause the shell to come apart from the polystyrene, or cause other problems.
I can remove some of the pads, but the straps are minging!

Comments

• Torres
    Torres Posts: 1,266
    I think muc off make a product called foam-fresh [or something to that effect] which you just spray on to the inside of your lid and leave to work its magic.
    What We Achieve In Life, Echoes In Eternity
  • Cheers Torres.
    I'll give it a try.
  • I wash the strapping by hand with a light anti bacterial handwash (nice smelling too) and rinse by hand - The sweat band I take out and do the same thing - And while I'm there I get a damp cloth with the same stuff on and wipe the helmet out thoroughly a few times, then rinse the cloth out and wipe out again with plain water.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Pads get taken out and put in a washing bag then washed in the machine

Helmet gets washed under the shower when I have a wash
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Baby shampoo is what you want, it's a very mild detergent, so unlikely to damage the glues but it'll do the job perfectly- used it many times on motorbike helmets. Just don't use very hot water, that can damage the shell. Oh, and be careful removing liners- make sure they're removable first!
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Bacterial handwas sound good. I didn't want to try something that might soak into the band then sting like mad if any sweat got into my eyes. (not that i'm that energetic, just slightly overweight)
  • decent clean water rinse is the key there.
  • dot1
    dot1 Posts: 538
    nearly 6 hours and there has been no remarks about dirty helmets or personal hygiene? im ashamed to be a part of this forum. this thread was pure gold!
    Trek Remedy 7 2009
    viewtopic.php?t=12634629

Boardman Pro Singlespeed - Sold
    viewtopic.php?t=12752297&highlight=

Giant Defy 5 2012
  • I've washed mine in the sink before - takes a while t dry but the helmet/straps show no ill effects. Give 'er!
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    dot1 wrote:
    nearly 6 hours and there has been no remarks about dirty helmets or personal hygiene? im ashamed to be a part of this forum. this thread was pure gold!

i was just thinking that, but i didn't want to be first to lower the tone :lol:
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • I thought it might supply some ammunition! (although it was a serious topic)
  • teulk
    teulk Posts: 557
    Aint washed my helmet for over a year and it dont smell and no mold or anything untoward.............
    Boardman Team 09 HT
    Orbea Aqua TTG CT 2010
    Specialized Secteur Elite 2011
  • M6TTF
    M6TTF Posts: 602
    Rinse the pads every now and then - that's about it