Forum home Commuter cycling forum Commuting chat

Reflective Stealth Strips

geordiefellageordiefella Posts: 302
edited September 2009 in Commuting chat
Just ordered some black strips that glow up when lit by cars etc...
http://reflectivelyyours.com/generic141.html

my bike is all black for urban coolness but not great for getting seen night-time. took a bit of tracking down for strips that arn't bright when you dont need them to be so thought i'd share the link
Cannondale BadBoy Rohloff
Cannondale SuperSix / 11sp Chorus
Ridley Excalibur / 10sp Centaur
Steel Marin Bear Valley SE
Twitter @roadbikedave

• downfaderdownfader Posts: 3,686
    I've used the black 3M on mine. No where as good as regular silver 3M tbh. I use mine in conjunction with around 5 lights
  • Out of curiosity, what colour light do they reflect? My limited - very limited - knowledge of physics led me to believe that black was black because it didn't reflect light. But this stuff is plainly the devil's work so the rules of physics don't seem to apply.
  • i've no idea. i'll get some pics up if/when it arrives. didn;t want to stick white stuff all over the bad boy and its probably not quite as bright, but we'll see
    Cannondale BadBoy Rohloff
    Cannondale SuperSix / 11sp Chorus
    Ridley Excalibur / 10sp Centaur
    Steel Marin Bear Valley SE
    Twitter @roadbikedave
  • redveeredvee Posts: 11,922
    Chucked some strips on the back of my roadracer guards last weekend. Very stealth till a light hits them.

dsc00931w.th.jpg

Want to put some more on the bike but haven't got enough at the mo.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Oddjob62Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    Out of curiosity, what colour light do they reflect? My limited - very limited - knowledge of physics led me to believe that black was black because it didn't reflect light. But this stuff is plainly the devil's work so the rules of physics don't seem to apply.

Not sure quite how it is done, but the principle is that it reflects light almost directly back down the path that the light arrived. A normal surface will bounce back light in all directions, so you can see it whichever way you look at it. With this material you will only see the light that has come from near where your are looking (in this case a car's headlight).

EDIT: Quick google... they use glass beeds or microprisms to achieve this (depending on the type of tape).
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • fossyantfossyant Posts: 2,549
    It works....... believe you me....

Daylight....

No flash

DSCF3626a.jpg

Flash......

DSCF3629a.jpg
  • SplottboySplottboy Posts: 3,695
    McKinley do, sorry, did a great backpack that totally lights up in car lights.
    Don't think is available any more, but search the web.
    Similar to the illuminite running gear.

Bought it off a mate who was closing outdoor shop due to cancer battle.
    28LTS and is very comfortable for riding/running to.

Trouble is, my teenage kid uses it for his "stuff". Have to to use C/baks and other bags...
  • sarajoysarajoy Posts: 1,675
    Here's mine (did a little montage pic for facebook) - the tape's literally brilliant!
    8433_633148160782_193105311_38997898_4030668_n.jpg

It's only the flash of a Nokia E71 mobile phone lighting it up like that, too.

I just bought a metre of 5cm wide tape from here: http://www.beseenonabike.com/shopuk/pro ... cts_id=448

Still got some left over :)
    4537512329_a78cc710e6_o.gif4537512331_ec1ef42fea_o.gif
  • [oldfogey]Yikes, black that's white! Whatever next?[/oldfogey]

fossayant, your photo is only demonstrating the reflective capacities of a white painted garage door to me - are they any good on a bike at night? :)
  • downfaderdownfader Posts: 3,686
    [oldfogey]Yikes, black that's white! Whatever next?[/oldfogey]

fossayant, your photo is only demonstrating the reflective capacities of a white painted garage door to me - are they any good on a bike at night? :)

Can you not see the tabs on the rims? :lol: