British Squad for Worlds

mbt1967
mbt1967 Posts: 23
edited September 2009 in Pro race
Anyone heard who's in ?

I thought it was to be announced on Friday but can't find it anywhere.

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    The squad is:

Cavendish
    Millar
    Cummings
    Downing
    Froome
    Swift
    Bellis
    Fleeman
    Hammond
    Lloyd
    Thomas
    Stannard
    Hunt

Personally I would leave out Fleeman, Bellis, Hunt and either Swift or Stannard - but that's just a hunch with little thought (and Cardiff bias towards little Geraint)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    RichN95 wrote:
    Personally I would leave out Fleeman, Bellis, Hunt and either Swift or Stannard - but that's just a hunch with little thought (and Cardiff bias towards little Geraint)

You would leave out a lot of the squad!! Who would you replace them with?

EDIT - the OP was asking who the final 9 were. They have not yet been announced.
  • I never thought I'd see the day when we got the full 9 riders to select from - and the selectors had a problem of who to leave out :shock:

British cycling is the strongest it's ever been. We've had some very good and classy riders in the past, but we've never had this much strength in depth :)
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    Lets hope we still have 9 places when we have a chance of actually winning it!

Strava is not Zen.
  • mandie
    mandie Posts: 218
    calvjones wrote:
    I think that Dave Millar actually does have an outside chance of winning it this year. The form seems to be there and it is his type of circuit.
    I'm not saying he will win it, just that I think it is possible.

Emma Pooley is also a possible for the Women's race.
    We\'ll kick against the darkness \'till it bleeds daylight
  • calvjones
    mandie wrote:
    calvjones wrote:
    I think that Dave Millar actually does have an outside chance of winning it this year. The form seems to be there and it is his type of circuit.

Well I suppose so, but he's not going to - I think staying for the final Vuelta TT showed where his ambitions lay.

I wonder if they'll take Cav, just for the team building experience?

Strava is not Zen.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    calvjones wrote:
    I wonder if they'll take Cav, just for the team building experience?

Yeah, I would, even if he pulls out halfway round. Same for the other young riders - Swift, Thomas, Froome and Stannard. Their real job isn't until Melbourne next year.
  • Bellis wont be riding ,lets hope he makes a full recovery.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_s ... 265413.stm
    positivley 4th street
  • Pokerface
    calvjones wrote:
    mandie wrote:
    calvjones wrote:

Well I suppose so, but he's not going to - I think staying for the final Vuelta TT showed where his ambitions lay.

Not only is he going, but he's also the 'team captain' and the rest of the squad will be there to support him.

He's not riding the World Champ's TT - but he's the only one already selected for the Road Race for GB:

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/lat ... orlds.html

EDIT: I read that as "he's not going". Not as "he's not going to"!
  • eh
    eh Posts: 4,854
    If DM has a chance of winning then BC also need a 2nd rider capable of winning to take some of the heat and I can't see many options there. Personnally I'd love them to give Thomas a bit of a free reign as he is on form and has played the team role well before and should be given some reward for it.
  • calvjones
    Yeah, I'd love to be wrong about DM but his only hope is to come to the finale with Cunego and Valv watching each other and sneak away.

Oh, and that Gilbert has had a puncture 5K before...

Strava is not Zen.
  • calvjones
    Yeah, I'd love to be wrong about DM but his only hope is to come to the finale with Cunego and Valv watching each other and sneak away.

Oh, and that Gilbert has had a puncture 5K before...

Strava is not Zen.
  • bikerZA
    bikerZA Posts: 314
    It's a shame David Millar isn't riding the ITT, his form seems spot-on at the moment, and would stand a very good chance.
  • Pokerface
    Well - the official team has been announced. 10 riders named with the final 9 to be announced on Thursday. Who will be the odd man out?: http://new.britishcycling.org.uk/gbcycl ... mpionships

Elite Men's Road Race
    Mark Cavendish
    Stephen Cummings
    Russ Downing
    Chris Froome
    Roger Hammond
    Dan Lloyd
    David Millar
    Ian Stannard
    Ben Swift
    Geraint Thomas

Elite Men's Time Trial
    Chris Froome
    Bradley Wiggins

Elite Women's Road Race
    Lizzie Armitstead
    Katie Colclough
    Nicole Cooke
    Nikki Harris
    Sharon Laws
    Lucy Martin
    Emma Pooley

Elite Women's Time Trial
    Wendy Houvenaghel
    Emma Pooley

Under 23 Men's Road Race
    Mark Christian
    Peter Kennaugh
    Jonny McEvoy
    Luke Rowe
    Erick Rowsell

Under 23 Men's Time Trial
    Andy Fenn
    Alex Dowsett
  • Looks to be a fairly decent squad across all discipline's/sexes this year. if there was a rider I would drop from the mens elite team it would probably be Downing for me, purely based on the distance of the race (265km?).
    The womens road team look strong with Lizzie, Nicole and Emma despite Cookes lack of form this year.
    Also, Peter Kennaugh could be a dark horse in the Mens U23 race IMO.
    Let's close our eyes and see what happens
  • I'll be gutted for Downing if he doesn't make it. For me it would be Froome to miss out cos he ain't really British. A bit like Zola Budd or Alan Lamb. Really crap reason I know but I think Russ deserves his moment.
  • afx237vi
    mbt1967 wrote:
    I'll be gutted for Downing if he doesn't make it. For me it would be Froome to miss out cos he ain't really British. A bit like Zola Budd or Alan Lamb. Really crap reason I know but I think Russ deserves his moment.

If you're going down that alley, you should probably get rid of Millar too. Born in Malta, grew up in Hong Kong.
  • Looks to be a fairly decent squad across all discipline's/sexes this year. if there was a rider I would drop from the mens elite team it would probably be Downing for me, purely based on the distance of the race (265km?).
    The womens road team look strong with Lizzie, Nicole and Emma despite Cookes lack of form this year.
    Also, Peter Kennaugh could be a dark horse in the Mens U23 race IMO.

wouldn't really say kennaugh is 'a dark horse' but yeah i do think he could be in with a very good chance
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,481
    mbt1967 wrote:
    I'll be gutted for Downing if he doesn't make it. For me it would be Froome to miss out cos he ain't really British. A bit like Zola Budd or Alan Lamb. Really crap reason I know but I think Russ deserves his moment.
    It is a crap reason. His parents are both British which, last time I checked, qualifies him for a British passport.

No disrespect to Russell Downing, but Froome has real potential and could win major races in the future. I think it's important that BC fields a strong team, but also one which gives the younger pros a chance to understand what the Worlds RR is all about.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    mbt1967 wrote:

He has made it. Ian Stannard is the one who's missing out if Cav is fit enough to compete.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • andyp wrote:
    mbt1967 wrote:
    It is a crap reason. His parents are both British which, last time I checked, qualifies him for a British passport.

No disrespect to Russell Downing, but Froome has real potential and could win major races in the future. I think it's important that BC fields a strong team, but also one which gives the younger pros a chance to understand what the Worlds RR is all about.

Yeah I know but I'm a big supporter of our domestic scene. OK Swift to miss out on account of his poor form.......ahem.......well he was dropped by the Brit dominated escape group in the ToB so he's got no chance of making it to the final lap on Sunday. Wheras Russ on the other hand could strike for glory.
  • afx237vi wrote:
    mbt1967 wrote:

If you're going down that alley, you should probably get rid of Millar too. Born in Malta, grew up in Hong Kong.

I'd love to lose Millar for the same reason I wouldn't want Vino or Basso to win. However as team leader it was never going to be an option.
  • afx237vi
    mbt1967 wrote:
    andyp wrote:
    mbt1967 wrote:

Yeah I know but I'm a big supporter of our domestic scene. OK Swift to miss out on account of his poor form.......ahem.......well he was dropped by the Brit dominated escape group in the ToB so he's got no chance of making it to the final lap on Sunday. Wheras Russ on the other hand could strike for glory.

No offence, but I think that's extremely unlikely. Yeah, he was the only Brit to finish last year, but he was over 6 and a half minutes down, way off the business end of the race.

Just reading the Roger Hammond interview on CN where he says there won't be many finishers. I think it's gonna be a tough day for all the British guys to be honest.
  • So is it a course where a breakaway of the right half-dozen riders could stay away?

Just can't see Pooley winning the TT, as the climbs in the double lap course don't seem long enough for her to gain enough advantage that won't all be taken back by others on the flatter sections. Would love to be proven wrong, of course. Maybe if the weather is crap tomorrow...
  • It's definitely not Cav, just confirmed on eursoport, he's still ill.
  • Pokerface
    Ian Stannard taking Cav's spot.