Frame damage - still rideable

wilskins
wilskins Posts: 6
edited September 2009 in Workshop
Hi

I crashed head first in to a car that pulled out without looking resulting in a my Scott S30 frame dented in two places. Luckily insurance will cover the damage but as the 09 frames are running down, its going to be at least a month until I get the replacement.

What I want to know is will it be safe to ride for the odd light training run if I don't push it in the mean time or should I park it and wait until the new frame arrives?

pics are on http://www.deagle.co.uk/s30

Comments

• steve23
    steve23 Posts: 2,202
    owch!!! hope your ok?

IMO if it was my bike, i wouldnt risk it. if it went from under you, you will get hurt no matter what speed your doing.
    _______________________________________________________________________________________
    If You Can't Cut It With The Big Dogs, Then Don't Pi$$ Up The Tall Trees!
  • I miraculously walked away with just a slightly strained shoulder ligament, apart from that not even a scratch! bike obviously took the brunt of it
  • steve23
    steve23 Posts: 2,202
    thats good.

i wouldnt risk it on that frame though!!!
    _______________________________________________________________________________________
    If You Can't Cut It With The Big Dogs, Then Don't Pi$$ Up The Tall Trees!
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    I would not ride that. There are almost certainly fractures in those dents. It could break with very little loading.
  • topdude
    topdude Posts: 1,557
    Another NO I'm afraid, looks like the strength of those thin walled tubes is compromised :(
    He is not the messiah, he is a very naughty boy !!
  • The 'dents' are a result of the frame being bent. You really don't want to ride that. It's an accident waiting to happen. Quite apart from the fact that handling will now be compromised, hitting the front brake could be enough to fold it in half.
  • no-that looks completely goosed :(
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • Ouch. Good job you came off ok.