Hello all!

Kaz01
Kaz01 Posts: 37
edited September 2009 in Women
Just thought i'd introduce myself as i'm new to the forum and new to mountain biking (courtesy of my fiance!).
My name is Karen, i'm 23 and i live in Derby. Been out twice to Sherwood so far and hoping to get out more often and to different places, any suggestions would be great! :D

I've already discovered my backside does not like saddles so i have invested in some padded shorts which have helped but not completely stopped the aching! Lol. I'm looking to get some 'proper' MBing gear to wear so if anyone has any suggestions i would be very appreciative.........I'm particularly looking to completely cover my arms and legs as i get cold (yes even when sweating!) and i don't like getting scratched my all the branches and what not (i'm a wimp :oops: ).

Anyway, hello all! Hope to hear from you

Comments

• Ahoy hoy, and welcome aboard.

If you're in Derby, you're spoilt for choice - you've got the Peak District close by, Sherwood as you've mentioned, and you're also reasonably close to Cannock Chase. Both Sherwood and Cannock are great for newer riders.

You can get leg and arm warmers which protect against scratches and scuffs, but the main attraction with them is that you can remove them if you get too warm. If you don't, you'd probably be better getting some padded cycling leggings and a couple of long sleeve jerseys or base layers.
  • Kaz01
    Hi Mrs Toast! We went out to Cannock today and had a blast (and a nice ice cold ice cream afterwards! :D ). Had a lot of fun at both Sherwood and Cannock and my other half tells me i did quite well so we're looking for a trip in a few weeks or so to Llandegla as he's been there before. Gonna get some practice in though first with Cannock mainly to get a bit quicker as i have to keep stopping and letting the guys passed! :oops:

Is there anywhere in particular in the peak district thats good or is it just a case of find your own route?

The arm and leg warmers sound perfect for me so i'll look into getting some of those in the near future.

I see you live in Leamington Spa whereabouts do you go riding?
  • For the Peak District, try Ladybower. Went there today used a map from (ahem) MBR. Plenty of other routes in the area though.
    Happy biking.
    Even in the darkest of days, Churchill still rode his Spesh.
    th_specialized001-1.jpg
  • Kaz01
    Ok 'll have to try that out. Is it a case of following a map then? Nothing signd or anything?

• I used the route/map from MBR magazine,but still took an OS map 1:25000.
    In the area there's loads of bridleways that are signposted, but I would still take a map to be on the safe side.
    The route we did took about 4 hours and in some places was more technical than Coed Y Brenin.
    If you want me to pm you the route we took let me know.
    Even in the darkest of days, Churchill still rode his Spesh.
    th_specialized001-1.jpg
  • Kaz01
    I'm guessing coed y brenin is technical then? :? I've not been there yet! :D Hoping to widen my experience soon though!
    Thanks for the suggestion, if you could PM me the route you took that would be great, might as well take advantage of the routes close to home.
    You get out much on your bike? Any favourite trails?