Introduction

Griselda
Griselda Posts: 24
edited September 2009 in MTB beginners
Hi all

I have with huge interest been following this forum for a little while. I must say, some great stuff is presented here. Since I am rejoining the MTB sport again after a rather long break I thought I'd better get in contact with some people that understand something about it.

As already stated, I am not absolutely new to the sport. I lived in Switzerland for my first 26 years of my life and then came to England, just for the fun of it. At the same time I ended my biking activities and started to study. Now, four years later I know the country a little better and thought I'd become active again. Just as it so happens, the organisation I work for gave me a brand new Scott Aspect. Thanks Boss :-)

Living in Bournemouth I am currently finding the most 'off-road' tracks to get around which has proven to be not very easy. However, I am also supposed to be concentrating on an exam I am sitting in October. Therefore my time is rather limited. But thereafter....

Happy Days

Griselda

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Hi and welcome!

Our mountains are not as large as the Swiss, but good riding all the same ;-)
  • I think sometimes it is best to be humble, and start with smaller challenges, and then slowly build up week by week to more difficult trails and routes. Super is right about our hills being a fraction of the challenge of swiss mountains, but there is more to the sport that just gradients. Try different track surfaces, soil types, and weather conditions... they help to build valuable riding skills.

I hope that Super will agree with me when I say the most important thing is to ride OFTEN and build up fitness and a routine little by little. A short ride each day is better than one long epic ride at a weekend. Also, don't forget to do some simple limb exercises to limber up before riding. With each ride, always aim to try something just SLIGHTLY more challanging than the last one, and don't worry if you seem to take time to master some basic riding skills.

Sometimes, a little time and commitment is all that is needed to become a better rider.

Have fun! Dorset is great!

KK.
  • You are right, Dorset is a fantastic county for cycling. I agree very much with your approach to getting started on biking. Often short is better than few long rides. As far as my skills go, I have never really thought about the sort of skills that some chat about on this forum. I am rather impressed with the finer, almost acrobatic skills that some outline. I have practiced balancing and done some precision riding, which I believe will be beneficial for riding the narrower paths.

As for our mountains in Switzerland, they are steep and can be very hard work. I grew up cycling those mountains. But I must say that the Dorset countryside appeals more to me for longer rides as there appears to be more variation. Rather than hiking up a mountain and when reaching the top racing down again, I like the hills of varying steepness and terrain. The only thing I think I'll miss is riding on snow. That has always been one of my favourites. Obviously the extent of off road is limited, but a footpath with trodden down snow is just a fantastic experience.

By the way, this is where I'm from:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&sourc ... 2&t=h&z=14
  • I am sure you will learn ok :) And don't worry about any kind of freestyle 'acrobatics'.
    I admit that I am a bit biased about freestyle riding, as I think it is just pointless.BMX on bigger bikes! I would focus on simple important skills that are useful in everyday riding, both on and off road. Like you say, simple stop-starting skills, knowing your gears well, and simple tricks like little bunnyhops and riding off camber.... these are essential basic skills off road that with time, are not too hard to learn!

Personally, I think two skills that are very basic and important, which too many riders do not get right, are downhill braking, and following a raceline. Following a 'raceline' as I call it, is just simple looking carefully ahead, and reading the best line to take on a trail, especially at corners. Sometimes the inside 'faster' line around a corner is NOT the best line to choose. Sometimes outer lines are better to follow, to maintain better flow. Oh yes, you need to learn about the word 'flow'... that is keeping your riding smooth and constant, and 'being in tune' with your bike.

Mountain Bike magazine did some excellent basic skills DVD's that are very useful :)

Dorset has a little of everything in all the right places.. lanes, trails, woods, pretty coastal paths, steeper downhills.... just beware of the sharp flint that is on some trails there.. :)

KK.

ps: you come from a nice part of switzerland :)