Applying for a Racing License

Airienteer
Airienteer Posts: 695
edited September 2009 in Road beginners
I'm thinking of applying for a racing license and doing some races next year. I'm 17 and obviuosly I'll start off as a 4th category junior. I'm quite fit and will get some good training in over the winter. Just wondering about the level of racing. What kinda speeds do guys race at and will I be completely out of my depth?? Cheers.

Comments

• lfcquin
    lfcquin Posts: 470
    From a seniors 4th cat point of view, it depends on the race. I came back to racing this year and started as a 4th cat. Most of the races I have done have been averaging 22mph to 27mph. Although, it has to be said that the higher speeds were in 2nd/3rd/4th races later this year.

Have a look at TLI (The League International) I found them a little slower with more beginners so a good way to break into the racing scene. (I even won one! :D ) If doing BC races then try to find races for 3rd/4th Cats.

If you haven't done already then join a club and get on some winter club runs, it will get you used to riding in a group and some of the signals and shouts that go on in a bunch. You need to get a good base of longer rides in this winter and this will help.

Early next year start working on developing your speed by doing some sprint work, theres loads of advice on here about how to do that and the cycling mags are always doing pieces on it. I did it this year by doing 30 minute sessions twice a week with short hard efforts in between larger rest periods.

If your club does a chaingang then this is an excellent way to develop the speed you need for racing. If you can handle a chaingang that does 30/40 miles at about 23mph then you will be ok to stay with most races within the bunch. The sprint work will be what makes you competative.

Hope that helps. Good luck!
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    +1 joining a club - spend a winter riding with faster and more experienced riders - you'll learn to ride safely in a pack and will ride a lot faster than you will on your own. Do some specific speed / interval work in the spring and you should be ready for the race season.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Thanks for the replies guys, cheers!