Vuelta stage 20 *spoiler*

afx237vi
afx237vi Posts: 12,630
edited September 2009 in Pro race
Vuelta time trial - 3 words that strike fear into the heart of every cycling fan :shock: I bet Harmon is excited today.

Bodnar fastest so far. Millar out on the course, 3 seconds down after 10 km.

Comments

• afx237vi
    Millar goes fastest at the finish. 43 seconds up on Westra, Bodnar in 3rd.
  • skut
    skut Posts: 371
    can't see anyone beating millar - will probably be proved wrong though.

Am I right in thinking Millar won the equivalent TT stage in the 2006 Vuelta?
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Oh how I want Basso to do a decent TT today.

Won't happen but I can hope...
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • afx237vi
    skut wrote:
    can't see anyone beating millar - will probably be proved wrong though.

Am I right in thinking Millar won the equivalent TT stage in the 2006 Vuelta?

No, that was stage 14 in Cuenca. He beat Cancellara :shock: Not many people can say that these days.
  • 1 David Millar (Garmin-Slipstream) 35.53
    2 Gustavo César Veloso (Xacobeo Galicia) 36:13
    3 Roman Kreuziger (Liquigas) 36.23
    4 Philippe Gilbert (Silence-Lotto) 36.27
    David Herrero (Xacobeo Galicia) 36:30
    Jesús Del Nero (Fuji-Servetto) 36:33
    Lieuwe Westra (Vacansoleil) 36:36
    Maciej Bodnar (Liquigas) 36:37
    Fredrik Kessiakoff (Fuji-Servetto) 36:48
    Frantisek Rabon (Columbia-HTC) 36:49
    Stijn Devolder (Quick Step) 36:56
    Dominik Roels (Milram) 37:09
    Anthony Roux (Française des Jeux) 37:24

Everyone out on course.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • afx237vi
    Evans going well. 5 seconds slower than Millar at check 2.
  • Evans 5secs off Millar at 19.5km. Basso just gone through 41 secs down on Evans.

Basso had 14secs on Evans on GC.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • SS 11 secs off Millar.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Valverde 26secs down on Millar. Surprisingly slow IMO.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Evans 2nd @ 9 secs.

Sweat dripping off him. He really gives it everything.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    edited September 2009
    Congratulations Millar. I didn't see the ride itself but it has been some time since he won so am pleased for him. Glad Evans got third in GC. Very pleased for Valverde too on his Vuleta win (well almost certainly guranteed).
    Contador is the Greatest
  • afx237vi
    Nice. Millar nearly decapitated a podium girl :lol:
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    So the rumours of him having a big weapon are true?
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    Great ride by Sanchez too! Nearly took it off Millar!
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • The Eagle of Toledo on stage - legend!!!
    Contador is the Greatest
  • LOL time I see.
    OK.

Could say Millar got the shaft!
    When in Toledo and all that......
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Gilbert 6th 8). He's in great form for the worlds next week.
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    Congratulations Millar. I didn't see the ride itself but it has been some time since he won so am pleased for him. Glad Evans got third in GC. Very pleased for Valverde too on his Vuleta win (well almost certainly guranteed).

u very pleased Valverde won??.. lol :lol:
  • Yeah. Thank goodness Valverde will win and not Basso, eh? :wink:

Evans fought back from Sierra Nevada well.
    Gesink is still on the early learning curve.
    Sanchez really strong in the third week, again.
    Basso's engine ain't what it used to be....a good thing IMO.

All that was missing was the usual Valverde gaff.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • best looking podium birds I have ever seen .....
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    S. Sanchez was very critical of the treatment of Valv.piti during the summer. I wonder if he'll change his tune if the suspension is extended (retrospectively), and the Vuelta title goes to a certain Olympic champion.
  • iainf72
    johnfinch wrote:
    S. Sanchez was very critical of the treatment of Valv.piti during the summer. I wonder if he'll change his tune if the suspension is extended (retrospectively), and the Vuelta title goes to a certain Olympic champion.

I can answer that. No, he'll think it's an enormous injustice.

I have a feeling CAS will rule in Valv's favour anyway. The UCI would've seen the evidence and their lack of action indicates, to me at least, that the case would be very hard to defend in CAS.
  • iainf72
    Evans fought back from Sierra Nevada well.
    Gesink is still on the early learning curve.
    Sanchez really strong in the third week, again.
    Basso's engine ain't what it used to be....a good thing IMO.

This years grand tours have been decided by

Giro : 1 long TT
    Tour : TTT
    Vuelta : Puncture and a crash

I reckon Basso will be a bit better next year getting used to being au-natural and all that. Gesink will definately be talked of alongside Schleck and Contador for the next few years.
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    iainf72 wrote:

Gesink will definately be talked of alongside Schleck and Contador for the next few years.

Eh? Tour decided by TTT? Contador won by 4'11", of which 40" were gained on the TTT. By that point he had already beaten Schleck by 40" on the prologue before adding 1'45" on the long time trial, 21" on stage 7 and 43" on the 15th.

Little Schleck couldn't get the better of AC on a single stage.

I agree with you on Gesink though. In a couple of years time there could well be 6 or 7 genuine contenders starting the Tour.
  • Best race trophy ever, that sword.
  • afx237vi
    Best race trophy ever, that sword.

George Hincapie won his missus :wink:
  • iainf72 wrote:

Giro : 1 long TT
    Vuelta : Puncture and a crash

Are you kidding ?
    The Giro was a great race and the gap between first and second once DiLuca was DQed is bigger than the gap between them on the long TT.
    Contador had that tour in his pocket - he rode conservatively once he had a decent lead - the TTT just made things a little easier for him.
    The Vuelta - Evans didn't have the legs - if he could have hung in with Sanchez he wouldn't have lost so much - Valverde won it with a bit to spare. Maybe Gesink

Ultimately if you have a close race you can always pick one incident where the winner gained a bit over the second place and say that decided the race.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Another good GT and good to see aggressive riding by Jersey wearers and contenders. Another good performance by evans that didnt quite get there, shame as this year ive warmed to him a lot.
  • iainf72
    The Giro was a great race and the gap between first and second once DiLuca was DQed is bigger than the gap between them on the long TT.
    Contador had that tour in his pocket - he rode conservatively once he had a decent lead - the TTT just made things a little easier for him.
    The Vuelta - Evans didn't have the legs - if he could have hung in with Sanchez he wouldn't have lost so much - Valverde won it with a bit to spare. Maybe Gesink

Giro - After Menchov won the TT, was he ever close to being in trouble? Nope. It was a tedious event

Tour - Exactly - After the TTT who else was in contention? It was just a matter of when Contador would take yellow. And yes, the ride to Verbiers was good but thanks to the TTT lots of people were out play by then.

If Evans hadn't punctured, Valv probably wouldn't have shifted him and the dynamic would've changed a lot.
  • afx237vi
    markwalker wrote:
    Another good GT and good to see aggressive riding by Jersey wearers and contenders. Another good performance by evans that didnt quite get there, shame as this year ive warmed to him a lot.

Whaaaa? Where? The only people willing to attack were Gesink and Mosquera, and both of them always left it until the final kilometre of the climb.

Frankly, even if you ignore the Puerto stuff, Valverde has got to go down as one of the most unexciting GT winners ever. Didn't win a stage, didn't attack once, only ever saw him sprinting for bonus seconds. Tedious.

I'm really disappointing because I wanted the Vuelta to be exciting. The organisers certainly gave the riders a good course to launch attacks, but the riders just weren't willing to put their neck on the line. The Tour had riders willing to attack, but a lame course, the Vuelta had a great course, but unwilling riders.