knee tendonitis

tptvmbircn
tptvmbircn Posts: 782
edited November 2009 in Health, fitness & training
after a 17 mile hilly walk which i dont do often my knee has broke (not literally) but there is a pain in my left knee over the left side near the shin bone and i've been told this is knee tendonitis.

I'm doing the usual, profens, ice/muscle rub (cooling) & support bandage (proper sports one). Its a bit of a limp but calming down a bit so how usually long does it take before i can cycle again? any thoughts on anything else i can speed up recovery?

i'm so bored haha, life without cycling is poop!

cheers,
terry

Comments

• you can't speed up recovery really. Don't ride it on anti-inflamatories as you could cause more damage without knowing.

warmth will be more helpful than ice.

support bandages shouldn't really be necessary as it doesn't sound like an instablilty in the knee that's causing the problems, more the tendon.

That said, i'd ignore everything you hear on a forum, go and see a decent physio!
  • cheers!
  • Nooooooo........warmth will not be better at all, with the symptoms the guy is saying, he has an injury which I am all too familiar with.
    It is an inflamation of the "Iliotibial Band" the muscle that runs around the front of the knee and helps keep things aligned.
    It tends to get too tight and causes more friction, which in turn can cause inflamation of the muscle.

Here is a quote off a physio web site:

The Lateral Epicondyle is a bony prominence that is the widest point of the thigh bone. When the knee is straight the ITB is in front of the Lateral Epicondyle of the thigh bone and when the knee is fully bent the ITB is behind the Lateral Epicondyle of the thigh bone. During movements of the knee, the ITB moves over the Lateral Epicondyle of the thigh, with maximum friction at 30 degrees of knee bend.

Here is the page that explains it properly http://www.physioroom.com/injuries/knee ... e_full.php

You do need to ICE the area after a session when it is painful, and you can use profens to help reduce the inflamation after training, but do not train with it's when sore, rest it as much as possible!!!

I ended up having an operation on my left knee to release the tension (My ITB is now split down it's length) And I am suffering with the same on the right. I have now been fitted with Orthotic insoles (Had my feet moulded and had custom insoles £125) and these work a treat, it keeps everything in line.
    I don't, and have never suffered from this on my bike, only when running (I do a fair bit) However, it is a common cycling injury and is generally casued by bad alignment of the joints, knees etc!!

Hope this helps (All be it a bit long winded!!)

Matt
  • except the itb is a band of connective tissue that runs right up the outside of your thigh not just round your knee.

as for hot cold, hot with anti-inflamatories is even more valid:

about halfway down

see i can use the internet too. I've suffered ITBS and patella tendonitis, the best advice is to

SEE A PHYSIO/SPORT THERAPIST!
  • well today apparently i have a physio at work! so will be sorting that out tomorrow!
  • Belv
    Belv Posts: 866
    Please let us know the physios advice.
  • Also sounds like ITB to me. This isn't usually a problem with the knee, it's nearly always caused by something further up the leg around the hip, lower back, or by something lower down the leg around the foot.

The physio i saw was happy for me to run even while getting ITB pain (so long as it didn't progress to the twanging sensation i got when doing sprint intervals) while i strengthened up the muscles and to ice it to bring lots of bloodflow to the area.

Sounds like you got it just from overuse on this specific occasion, which, if you're not planning on repeating regularly, i'd just treat the symptom until it's gone then carry on as you were
  • Belv wrote:
    Please let us know the physios advice.

When i get in i will!
    mea00csf wrote:
    Also sounds like ITB to me. This isn't usually a problem with the knee, it's nearly always caused by something further up the leg around the hip, lower back, or by something lower down the leg around the foot.

The physio i saw was happy for me to run even while getting ITB pain (so long as it didn't progress to the twanging sensation i got when doing sprint intervals) while i strengthened up the muscles and to ice it to bring lots of bloodflow to the area.

Sounds like you got it just from overuse on this specific occasion, which, if you're not planning on repeating regularly, i'd just treat the symptom until it's gone then carry on as you were

I see, the pain has went, cycled a bit tonight and its there when cycling! i just managed the shop (where i was going to) which is spitting distance, it took forever.

These docs better get a move on!
  • ok no physio this time unfortunetly (as of yet, i'm working on it) i've rested for 1 week and 3 days so far and i have improved quite a bit!

My main remidies are:

Heat! - both a heat beanie bag thing that i put in microwave, bath & muscle rub (cheapo poo from morrisons!)

Stretch bandage - I'm in a medium, also purchased some knee warmers for winter and there nice and tight (not too much)

Diclofenac Sodium - I just thought that the Ibuprofen did'nt cut it for me this time!

And a lift in to work everyday which has killed me as i just commute normally. So was out tonight and it very very slightly pulled so a mass improvement, my walking is now fine, bit funny on stairs as i think i'm taking it easy to stop it from getting worse in a paraniod way. So will still rest it for the rest of this week and hopefully be out next week if i feel upto it.

Terry
  • I wonder if I suffer with something similar, I get pain in the right side of my left knee, feeling it its where the 2 leg bones are joined
    I also suffer when riding but does not effect walking

What pedals/shoes do you use?

I was riding flats in regular trainers, gots some Scott cycling specific shoes for use on flat pedals and wear a knee strap and the differance was massive. I now ride longer and climb more with no pain most of the time
  • bigmart wrote:
    I wonder if I suffer with something similar, I get pain in the right side of my left knee, feeling it its where the 2 leg bones are joined
    I also suffer when riding but does not effect walking

What pedals/shoes do you use?

I was riding flats in regular trainers, gots some Scott cycling specific shoes for use on flat pedals and wear a knee strap and the differance was massive. I now ride longer and climb more with no pain most of the time

I see. I use spd's time mtb shoes with shimano cleats
  • Terry, that was the next thing I was going to try but was happy with the result of the shoes, I'd found my feet were always moving resultantly twisting my knee

I use a prosport neoprene support and it gives good support and is ok for riding in and washs well
  • bigmart wrote:
    Terry, that was the next thing I was going to try but was happy with the result of the shoes, I'd found my feet were always moving resultantly twisting my knee

I use a prosport neoprene support and it gives good support and is ok for riding in and washs well

Nice! i will look into that, tbh i think this may be a one off but will put something like this in place to make sure i'm looking after the knee's well enough in future. Its more likely down to using different muscle groups on the walk
  • I've got ITB syndrome in my right knee. Physio thinks it's just over use. He recommended stretching along with physio treatment (very painful 'stripping' of the tendon). Mine isn't too bad so he said I was unlikely to do further damage by training but the pain dictates what I can do. Over the last three weeks with stretching and a small amount of training things have improved. The recommended stretches are pretty basic ones try this one http://www.rice.edu/~jenky/sports/itband.html.
    I did quite a bit of research on ITBS on the internet and most sites say RICE with ibruprofen. There are ITB supports on the market which are basically a strap that go round the thigh. I haven't tried them so don't know if they are any good. Anyone tried them?
  • mea00csf
    mea00csf Posts: 558
    Has the physio determined the cause? Even if it's "overuse" this will still have a cause which can be treated with the correct exercises/stretches. For instance, mine was caused by weak glutes, and therefore exercises to strengthen them meant that as i got during my run, my leg kept moving in the correct way, instead of incorrectly as previously was happening meaning my ITB was only beginning to creep in after 20k instead of 13km (a huge improvement!)
  • Just got back from physio today and the cause is ITB friction on the illis tibial band just below my knee. so stretches and inflamation tablets to the rescue, i am cycling to work lightly which seems to be helping and its a mere 3 miles also so nothing too heavy, just hope it goes soon.
  • I also suffer/ed from tendonitus, left knee blew up doing the dartmoor classic and after taking a month off i did the bontrager 24/12 solo and blew my right knee up!!

but its only recently that my knee seems to be fine, the only thing you can really do is rest, i didn't bother going to a physio for the simple fact that all he would do is say you have tendonitis, thats £30 please. Also, the web said there is no quick remedy

What i do advise you though is to seek out some tablets called glucosamine and chondroitin, they're meant to help cartalige in the joints and hopfully prevent damage. However i do warn they're not cheap, i went into boots and it worked out something like 50p a tablet!!
    But some web surfing and i got a fairly good price, i think it was £16 for 240

www.simplysupplements.net

hope this helps