Fitting deore trigger shifter

maxppp
maxppp Posts: 39
edited September 2009 in MTB beginners
My left deore shifter has given up so ive just received a new one in the post.

Attached it all up ok (i think) but how do i know how tight to set the cable? Is it just trial and error? Also it currently doesnt like going into gear three (the top/big cog), is this a case of just loosening the cable?

Also the derailer has two screws one marked 'high', one marked 'low'. What do these do and do i need to adjust them?

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Try the Park Tools website - they have a step by step guide on what to do.
  • Cool thanks for the links, read the guide from top to bottom.

Am i right in thinking the only thing i should be adjusting is the alan bolt attached to the front deralier mech and the two tiny philips screws?

The bike is a 2003 shimano rockhopper comp.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    and the tension adjuster on the shifter.

but if you are just replacing the shifter there should be no need to touch the mech other than to fit the cable.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • easy way is to select gear one on the shifter and let the derailleur select gear one on its own. wind the cable adjuster on the shifter in and pull the cable tight. clamp it at the deralleur and select second gear. it should go up.... if it does, try gear 3. if it goes in, billy bingo. if not, drop your shifter back to one and turn the cable adjuster a couple of turns. try again and repeat.

its not hard, once your brain understands the principles, its really simple how it works.