How long before replacing a helmet??

paulscutt
paulscutt Posts: 332
edited September 2009 in MTB general
Just wondered if there was a 'life span' on mtb helmets? I've not had any off's with my Giro Exodus but it is a fairly old helmet now and wondered whether i'm risking things by using an older helmet??

Thanks!

p.s. picking up my 09 Trek Remedy 8 from JE Jasmes today and CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!!!! :D
**2009 Trek Remedy 8**

Specialized P.3 (custom) w/ Deore hydro discs, XT group, Blackspire device, Mavic D321's

Comments

• dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    The rule of thumb with motorbike helmets is (or used to be at any rate) every five years, regardless of condition.

There's no doubt that the polystyrene will degrade over time and will become brittle. But to be honest, ask yourself if you'd rather spend thirty or forty beer tokens on a new helmet, or risk having to have your arse wiped for you and spend the rest of your life eating soup through a straw. It's a no brainer really (no pun intended).

And TBH if you're getting a shiny new bike, why not have shiny new helmet to match??
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • Hercule Q
    Hercule Q Posts: 2,781
    after a crash or a dog has chewed it up

pinkbike
    Blurring the line between bravery and stupidity since 1986!
  • dave hill> haha thanks yeh i do now want a shiny new helmet with my new remedy 8 in the hallway :D

So, tried a met kaos ul - didnt feel right, how about a fox flux or giro xen? which is better for AM use??

cheers!

(yes my helmet is nearly 9 years old and sounds loike it needs replacing!)
    **2009 Trek Remedy 8**

Specialized P.3 (custom) w/ Deore hydro discs, XT group, Blackspire device, Mavic D321's
  • I agree with the wise and bearded Mr Dave Hill :)

The majority of cycle helmets, regardless of brand and 'quality', are only structurally viable for about 5 years.

I was out riding with a small group in the Cotswolds this summer, and we took a break in the countryside. One guy climbed about 20 feet or so up a large tree to admire the view (and why not?!)..

Somehow his helmet slipped off his head and fell top down onto the tarmac pavement below, which was enough to badly crack the helmet apart. He didn't mind because his helmet was 8 years old, he said. Enough said really.

A simple £30 quid investment every few years has got to be worth the precious contents of your head!

KK.
  • I got a new Kaos recently in the cyclesurgery sale - bought because my old parachute (worn without the chin guard for pretty much 99.999% of its life) was a) sweat soaked and filthy, b) dented and chipped, c) had loose flapping bits of outer and just generally skanky. The Met was maybe 6 years old with the last 4 years being summers only.

definitely in need of replacing.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    Some helmet companies have recommended life-spans (3 years in some cases, which sounds pretty short), but 5 years sounds like a good rule of thumb.

If you can replace or wash the pads then I guess that lengthens the life too :wink:
  • If I recall correct Giro say 3 years.
  • scale20
    scale20 Posts: 1,300
    The Giro Zen is a nice lid and very comfy. I've found it can get hot on rides but thats probably a good thing with winter coming!
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    5 years max I'd say. Obviuosly just in case somebody out there didn't know. 1 major impact only! In the motorbike world most people won't hang their lid on the grips, because if it falls off (and falls about 1.5m's empty) it needs binning.

I recently crashed hard enough to break both arms, And my head hit first! So I'm pretty much a fan of the Fox Flux that galantly detroyed itself to keep my dome intact. There's a few '08's left on Stif at near half price.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    paulscutt wrote:
    I've not had any off's with my Giro Exodus...
    Jeez and I thought I hung on to my stuff for too long :lol:

Retired my Exodus a couple of years ago. Think it was about six or seven years old.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    MET say their helmets are good for 8 years.
  • scale20
    MET have a got a cracking crash replacement scheeme for their helmets.
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • My helmet is a MET, but I would rather side on caution and stick with 5 years max.

That helmet replacement scheme sounds interesting, never heard of it. What exactly is the deal with the scheme then...?

KK.
  • scale20
    A couple of people I know have had head on crashes wearing MET helmets. They sent their helmets back to MET and got a substantial reduction on a new helmet.

I think they want the crashed helmets back to research the damage done etc.

http://www.met-helmets.com/home.jsp?idrub=2122
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Never managed to make a helmet last more than a couple of years. I either headbut the ground and ding it or leave it on the roof of the car when I drive off
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap