Is it just me that thinks the new Muse album is rotten?

Northwind
Northwind Posts: 14,675
edited September 2009 in The Crudcatcher
Don't get me wrong, i love Muse, I think they're one of the best bands in the world, on record and live... But this... It's just all over the place. It's got some moments but it's such a let down. And Matt Bellamy's been listening to too much bloody Queen!

Ah, well, OK, let's put it in perspective... It's still a Muse album, and it's still going to be one of the albums of the year, but damn it all. It should have been stunning, instead it's just good :(

And the Frank Turner album's not very good either. Why do you disappoint me, bands?
Uncompromising extremist

Comments

• Only heard half of it so far but what I have heard hasn't set me on fire particularly. KOL are the only band I've heard who are capable of incrementally raising the bar each time. I think most bands just plateau out at some point though.
  • schmako
    schmako Posts: 1,982
    That victorious song is never off rock radio :x I goddamn hate muse, to me they seem like a poor mans radiohead. Oh yeah and another one of their new songs is identical to some crappy marilyn manson(SP!?) song!
  • Muse = nothing like radiohead

....more like Queen these days
    Formally known as Coatbridgeguy
  • Andy
    Andy Posts: 8,207
    Muse = Pants
  • Northwind
    Muse = nothing like radiohead

....more like Queen these days

Yess! That's it, there's so many bits on this albums where it's like he's just said "What would Brian May do". Considering how much better a guitarist he is, that's a bit odd.

I've not heard the Muse = Radiohead for about a decade, that's quite funny. Thom Yorke says "They sound nothing like us- but we both listen to too much Tom Waits"
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Definately hearing the brian may influence on the new album. TBH, Absolution and Origin of Symetery are always going to be impossible to top.

Going to see Muse in November- should be a great show, can't wait
  • I'd say the album is very listenable and one a couple of tracks don't work for me. Brilliant live
    Formally known as Coatbridgeguy
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    It's grown on me, I was a little worried on Radio 1s Muse night when Dom was talking about making music you could dance to. But watched the Teignmouth gig, given the album a few listens and faith has been restored. Off to see them in November (again) and can't wait!
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Northwind
    I got tickets for the SECC gig, then I realised that I'm in London on work for the Dome gig too so my mate grabbed me a ticket for that too 8) Even if the album doesn't grow on me Muse gigs are never to be missed...
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Yea, last one was much better, I love muse too.
    Speed is life12.gif
  • I used to love Muse and they are great live... but their music is getting a bit camp and a little too theatrical for my taste :shock:
  • listen to the new Thrice album "Beggars" its sounds like Muse could sound if they didnt try and do too much
    i spent all me money on whisky and beer!!!
  • Schmako wrote:
    That victorious song is never off rock radio :x I goddamn hate muse, to me they seem like a poor mans radiohead. Oh yeah and another one of their new songs is identical to some crappy marilyn manson(SP!?) song!

I'm actually with Schmako on this one i find them samy and dull
  • guilliano
    guilliano Posts: 5,495
    Going back to the KOL thing that was mentioned near the start of the thread...... I went to see them at Reading and they just weren't up for it at all. Brilliant musically, but there was no show there at all...... like listening to recorded music played from a stage.

As for Muse..... find them a bit boring to be honest. Don't know much of their music but what I have heard just doesn't excite me at all.
  • guilliano wrote:
    Going back to the KOL thing that was mentioned near the start of the thread...... I went to see them at Reading and they just weren't up for it at all. Brilliant musically, but there was no show there at all...... like listening to recorded music played from a stage.

That doesn't surprise me in the slightest though the amount of touring they've done in the last few years can't be good for you on any level, least of all maintaining enthusiasm and creativity. Saw them a couple of years ago at the old gmex and they tore the place apart and then blew the lid off the place they were that good. They need time off to freshen back up. ....and then they'll probably plateau musically like every other band does
  • guilliano
    guilliano Posts: 5,495
    I was just left with the impression that they are not a festival band. I'm sure when they play a KOL concert they are amazing as everyone is there to see them, but Kaiser Chiefs (who I've never been massively keen on) just blew them out of the water.

I'm of the opinion that there are bands who excel at festivals with the atmosphere they generate, bands who excel in concert, and bands who excel in the studio (more often than not manufactured bands)

The best bands I've seen at festivals are all British bands. Maybe it's the festival culture and the fact that the band members all grew up going to things like Reading, Glastonbury, V etc
  • I think you're bang on, some bands do perform better at festivals than others. I do think KOL are jaded and need time off touring and festivals for their (the band's) own long term well being ...even though it's probably the thing that is fine tuning them musically / technically. See it time and again with bands too, too much, too intensive and something (one) eventually gives, n all that.
  • Northwind
    I think you're bang on, some bands do perform better at festivals than others.

KOL were great at Reading the time before, mind... Probably it was partly that last time, they weren't so well known while now they're up against the hype. Tough thing to live up to.
    Uncompromising extremist