RAB 2010

So how many folks on here have signed up for this ?

and are you thinking 'piece of cake' or 'what have I got myself into'
I'm thinking the latter at present even though I scored a massive 13 or possibly 14 on the questionnaire 4,4,2,2,1

Comments

• pickled
    pickled Posts: 439
    What questionnaire?
    I'm going to do it in 2011 hopefully.
    A year and half training ought to do it... :)
  • They sent out a small questionnaire :

What was your longest ride last year
    What sort of bike/s do you have
    How many exercise sessions do you do per week
    How many times do you ride per week
    How many races/triathlons have you done

I have a few bikes but have never raced or done a triathlon
  • looks like I'm on my own then :lol:
  • I'm hoping to do this event in 2010. Not seen the questionnaire yet. So what is the point in the questionnaire is it to check if your fit enough?
  • pickled
    The entry list is closed now. The numbers were limited to 600 or so I believe. You can register your interest for next year though.
  • Luckily I have a place earmarked for me in 2010. Have you put your name down on the waiting list pickled?
  • pickled
    No I've registered for the year after . I assume they will just e-mail me nearer the time.
    I need a while to save, let alone train!
  • I got a 12 for the questions, answers were 2,3,3,3,1.

Also received an email from Threshold today with the training plan. For me, this brings the size of the task home! Better get cracking...
    Trek 7100FX - battered commuter FCN - 10
    Raleigh pretend d/h MTB - family outings / weight training
  • Training? I didnt think you had to train for this event. I was thinking of taking the Don Whillans approach rather than the Dougal Haston one. Have you seen the picture of the two of them on Everest? Haston looks like a skeleton with an oxygen mask while Whillans is chubby faced smoking a cigar. I reckon I need to put on 4 or 5 kilos for this event and just get fit and lean over the nine days. If you turn up lean and super fit you might be burnt out and well underweight by the end.
  • OMG 'The training pack'

But on the plus side its a rest day today :P
  • r3 guy
    r3 guy Posts: 229
    Yeah i am doing it

Cant wait !!
  • Looking forward to it also. The training plans look a bit complicated. I'm thinking its not about speed its about being strong enough to ride all day for nine days on the trot. So comfort before speed. I think I'll leave the race bike at home and take my Amazon which has a lovely comfy brooks saddle. Anyone any thoughts on bikes, wheels and gearing yet? I know its early days.
  • i've signed up for 2011. going to the cycle show in oct to put a deposit down on something comfy and light. missed out on 2010, but like the above, will need saving and training time.
    Cannondale BadBoy Rohloff
    Cannondale SuperSix / 11sp Chorus
    Ridley Excalibur / 10sp Centaur
    Steel Marin Bear Valley SE
    Twitter @roadbikedave
  • r3 guy
    I will be taking my race bike (cervelo r3) the fact that they will be carrying all of our stuff is the real appeal. No touring bike or panniers for me !
  • I think I'm on my race bike too - just so long as I get some hill practice in
    As mines a compact double which I'm still getting use to - 34:25 is so different to my triple tourer.

When I 1st rode it uphill I thought the gears were broken :lol:

I'm also on turbo trainer investigation - magnets, gel, resistances choices choices
  • Will you be using raceblades or something like that or are you just hoping its mostly dry? I have ordered a new Orca so could use that. Would have to put a Brooks saddle on it Swallow Ti or something like that.
  • rbrettell you should get plenty of hill training in Kirkstone pass from Ullswater is a tough enough climb at the best of times but after 4 x 100plus mile days it will kill you or cure you.
  • rbrettell you should get plenty of hill training in Kirkstone pass from Ullswater is a tough enough climb at the best of times but after 4 x 100plus mile days it will kill you or cure you.

GULP !! and yes Im sure it is going to be dry :o
  • r3 guy
    no mudguards, or softer saddle for me.

Its gonna be the middle of summer, and my airione is the most comfortable saddle i have ever tried (besides my wifes 3 kg gel saddle)

The way i see it is they said we would be leaving early every day, so i figure that means 7 ish, so a 120 mile ride should be done and dusted ny mid afternoon, which leaves a fairly long period for recovery.
  • I can see your logic. I also want to sit up a bit and take in some views. I'll be taking the camera with me to take some pictures along the way especialy at the Great Glen, Glen Coe, Erskine Bridge (I guess we must be cycling over it) the Lakes and Cheddar Gorge and all the undiscovered bits (by me) in between. I'd guess my average speed will be nearer 15 than 20 as there's no way I'm doing an epic ride like this with my arse up and my head down staring at the road ahead. Your probably right on the faster bike idea though as that will give more time for stopping to take in some views while still getting to camp for an early shower.
  • went to the bike show this week. no further forward on the bike choice. i think my rohloff, while lovely and smooth, isn't going to give me the light feel i'd like. i'm settled on either dampag or SRAM red (need to test ride) and maybe a focus from wiggle. likewise, the full supported nature of the event is a big attraction as is seeing our country in a unique way.

anyone got the training programme they can send me? I don't have it.
    Cannondale BadBoy Rohloff
    Cannondale SuperSix / 11sp Chorus
    Ridley Excalibur / 10sp Centaur
    Steel Marin Bear Valley SE
    Twitter @roadbikedave
  • arlo_m
    arlo_m Posts: 24
    Just paid deposit on the 2011 ride – gives me plenty of time to get in shape and helps me plan next year's rides.

God, already excited!
  • pickled
    How have you done that?
    On the website you can only register for the 2011event?
    Which I've done. I can't find anything that mentions that they are taking deposits for 2011.
  • I'll be riding RAB 2010, was really looking to it until I received the Training plan :-) Not quite sure what my score was on the questionnaire, just double figures I think.

Just need to get the final half-marathon out of the way by end of October, then I can jump on the bike to get some serious training in.

Dan
  • arlo_m
    Hi pickled,

I was on the waiting list for the 2010 event but it's fully subscribed – I got an email from Threshold Sports inviting me to pay my deposit and get in line, which I did.

Hope this helps.
  • pickled
    Thanks.
    I was never on the waiting list for 2010, so presumably they're giving all those people first dibs.
  • arlo_m
    Sounds likely – hope to see you there anyway.
  • GregC
    GregC Posts: 65
    Just a note to those who are doing the RAB 2010
    --be careful to check the dates on the training plan i.e work backwards from the ride date to where you are/should be now --you may find you are a week out !--not that it matters that much currently but it will nearer the ride
    --also for those making their own way there flights on flybe are available to Inverness now .Train from Inverness to Wick won't be available until the new year though .
  • A week out on the training plan ?

It looks fine to me - you even get a rest day on Friday 11th June 2010
  • GregC wrote:
    Just a note to those who are doing the RAB 2010
    --be careful to check the dates on the training plan i.e work backwards from the ride date to where you are/should be now --you may find you are a week out !--not that it matters that much currently but it will nearer the ride
    --also for those making their own way there flights on flybe are available to Inverness now .Train from Inverness to Wick won't be available until the new year though .

Thanks for the heads up - Was looking at flying up from Luton (Easyjet have now released flights up to Inverness), but Flybe seem a lot cheaper, flight times seem a bit friendlier too.