Back Pain - Can someone check these angles?

CHollingbery
CHollingbery Posts: 29
Hey guys,

Been getting some really bad lower back pain lately but I'm not quite sure what the problem is. I hurt my back a little a few months ago Cannoning (12m jump - didn't land too straight!) but it didn't hurt for weeks after (I didn't ride in this time). When I did ride again, with me pushing hard, my back was in agony very soon after starting. Its now hurt every time I've ridden.

Now, I just want to check its not my bike set-up as I did change it around lately. Below is a link to a picture of me on my bike + some angles (not perfect but you get the idea). Can you see anything wrong? I've also marked where the pain is when I ride.

angles.jpg

It definitely feels like overworked/strained muscles. While riding, if I get off and stand straight there is big relief, but as I bend my back (still while standing) further down into the riding position the pain starts again and the muscles feel week. Is my position bad and are my muscles having to work overtime?

Cheers,
Chris

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Your reach to the bars, and the bar height can influence the loading on your back too.

You could get away with a slightly higher saddle though.
  • Re-do your bike set-up to the previous values; a 3 mm change can generate a huge difference.
  • Dazzza
    Dazzza Posts: 2,364
    Riser bars, longer stem and hike that saddle up a bit.
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
    Giant Anthem X
  • myopic
    myopic Posts: 692
    As all of above, plus I would drop my heels a bit. Come to think of it, if you do that, you might not need to raise your saddle.
    You don't need eyes to see, you need vision
  • Hi

You are a bit too low and a bit too far backwards. Probably need to go up about 10mm and then forwards about 15mm. After that you may need a slightly longer stem.

These rules http://bikedynamics.co.uk/guidelines.htm were designed for road bikes but work just as well with mountain bikes.

BikeDynamics.co.uk
  • seataltea
    seataltea Posts: 594
    My two penneth.

I have two discs out in my back, one low down and one in the middle, my nerve was trapped but somehow worked its way out (I've seem both MRI's), I've had work at BUPA and the NHS and used UK trial painkilling drugs which block the pain receptor region of the brain and I have seemingly permanent Femoral Nerve Disfunction (90% loss of feeling in the Gluteus and Quad) in both legs. I can put a cig out on my leg above the knee, it's a party trick I choose to avoid.

For three weeks in 2007 I was unable to walk.

Go and see someone or you may come to regret it.

How did it start ? Swimming 5 miles a week, don't ignore it.
    'nulla tenaci invia est via'
    FCN4
    Boardman HT Pro fully X0'd
    CUBE Peleton 2012
    Genesis Aether 20 all season commuter